REFLECTOR: Switches

Alex Balic alex157 at direcway.com
Sun Aug 29 20:43:33 CDT 2004


Wayne,
Do you have a good source for the multi cable? - we used to order it, but
had 50' minimums and was horribly expensive- really nice though because each
wire was numbered.......probably would need 30 or 26 conductor...

Alex
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Wayne Lanza
  Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2004 6:07 PM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Switches


  Hi Kurt,
  My recommendations for you are the following:
  - Use a multi-conductor (plenum) type of cable or separate (22 gauge)
strands up to the
  switches and use relays to handle the current. Do not use ribbon cable!
the wire gauge is
  too thin and the stuff will work harden and leave you with opens over
time.
  - I have used thousands of properly rated relays with no problems over the
past 12 years
  of building more about 2,000 power panels - I figure the stats are pretty
good... When you
  wire the relays, I'd suggest turning them on by switching the grounds.
It's safer that way
  and you will need one wire per plus one ground wire common to all
switches - simple...
  - The use of a lower current switch should open up a wide selection of
switches for you.
  I wouldn't give you a nickel for push buttons, they are hard to feel to
determine if they are
  off or on. We have had several A/C in the shop with PB's and the general
consensus is
  not favorable. Being able to run your fingers across a row of levers (or
whatever...) to
  assure that they are all off without seeing them is reassuring...


  Have Fun,
  Wayne
  _____________________________________________________________________

  On Aug 27, 2004, at 9:24 AM, NMFlyer1 at aol.com wrote:



    Wayne,


     Well, sorry about your lightening strike luck.  Could be worse though
(knock on wood). New Mexico leads the country in people killed by lightening
last I heard.

    I knew most of the information you provided, but I appreciate the
refresher. I like to try and avoid relays if at all possible. Perhaps this
is due to the number of Triumphs I have owned and restored. I consider
relays another failure point that I avoid whenever possible.
    No, I had not planned on using Lucas (Prince of Darkness) Relays :)

    You are also correct on the difficulty on finding switches. I looked
through all the info that Brian gave me, and found only a couple rockers
that would work (no pushbuttons), the rest can't handle the load.

    Gulf Coast lists some lighted, labeled rockers for about 40 bucks a
piece (ouch). The ratings are not in the catalog, so I'll have to call. Do
you carry that kind of switch?

    I had also planned on using ribbon cable up the door beams IF I can find
some that will handle the current.  I have located some Very nice relays
that are used for 14V DC applications that have a good reliability factor. I
may just bite my lip and set the assembly up with ribon cable and relays to
cut down on the search time.

    I had planned on putting the HID landing light switch, Nav & Strobe
switches in the overhead panel. I thought there was one more, but my notes
are in the hangar.
    The rest of the panel is wired with good DC switches I ordered at a
local shop.

    Thanks again for your input.

    Kurt Winker
    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040829/3c320eda/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list