REFLECTOR: GA Scare Article in Boston Globe

dthomas at web2e.com dthomas at web2e.com
Fri Aug 27 12:06:29 CDT 2004


Well said, Andy.... very well indeed....




> This is the same paper that published that nasty article on Tim
> Crawford.  It was titled "Type of plane that scientist flew to his death
> has a crash history."  It was by Michael Rosenwald.  For those that
> weren't around then, Tim was a prolific builder, scientist, and all
> round great guy.  He died from a stroke while flying his Longeze.  When
> the plane crashed into the sea he was already gone.  They wrote an
> article on how the plane was a death trap and we should all be living in
> fear as they are falling out of the skies.
>
> I believe several of us wrote the paper but no one received a response
> and I do not believe they printed a correction or retraction.
>
> Anyway, here was my reply:
>
> Hello,
>
> My name is Andy Millin and I am a father, business owner, general
> aviation pilot, and I am an American.
>
> I read the story "Analysts warn of small-plane terrorism threat" by
> Karen Schaleron on your website today.
>
> The story saddens me greatly. Not because there is a potential threat to
> my security, but that there are those that will point at freedom and cry
> "security threat." Even worse is the media, hungry to sell, that gives a
> pulpit to this sensationalism.
>
> My belief is that the terrorist that attacked on September 11, 2001,
> were not just trying to kill Americans. Their primary goal was far more
> insidious. They wanted to attack the American way of life. Our freedom.
> You know, the thing we have been fighting and dieing for since 1776.
>
> The aftermath of the attacks has given the terrorists almost complete
> victory. Huge economic downturn. Many industries were crippled. Aviation
> still has not completely recovered. They managed to get our government
> to spend itself into a daunting deficit. We now have security screening
> systems at our airports that are very expensive and only provide a
> feeling of security. It has been shown on multiple occasions that an
> intelligent person with malicious intent WILL find a way beat these
> systems.
>
> The pervasive paranoia has led to the massive security expense and
> effort surrounding any large public event. The Olympics, the Democratic
> and Republican National Conventions, etc. If I were the terrorist I
> would be quite happy. "Look at them spend themselves into the ground.
> They run around with fear and mistrust. Look at them strip away their
> hard fought freedoms. We are winning."
>
> If you don't believe me, just try to go up inside the Statue of Liberty.
> You can't; too much of a security risk. This is a national monument to
> freedom and the American way and it is now off limits. I weep.
>
> As for the threat from General Aviation. I cannot deny that if someone
> were intent on hurting others and wanted to use an aircraft to do it
> they could. But how many other scenarios could we come up with using a
> car or truck? Timothy McVeigh did not attack with a four place Cessna
> 172. And yet I haven't seen a release from David Heyman espousing the
> danger of Ryder trucks. I haven't seen the Boston Globe story on how the
> trucking industry could be then next terrorist tool.
>
> The story infers that ALL aircraft should be screened before being
> allowed to take off. Will we also propose that every person must go
> through a security screening before they can enter an Interstate
> Highway?
>
> If you really want to be sensational, tell the whole truth. I've got the
> headline for you. "Small Group of Ordinary People Thinks of Thousands of
> Ways We are Vulnerable to Attack. Recommends We All Stay In Our Homes."
> "Sounds like the safest plan" says David Heyman.
>
> This type of sensational scare story is literally doing the bidding of
> Osma Bin Laden. I beg your paper to focus on the strong American Spirit.
> If you want an example, here I am. I would rather die than give up any
> of the freedoms that are my birthright as an American.
>
> With best regards,
>
> Andy Millin
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>




More information about the Reflector mailing list