REFLECTOR: Crossflow Aero Engine Debacle
DOHAYES at aol.com
DOHAYES at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 12:15:34 CDT 2004
Dear Reflectorites -
I noticed that Crossflow Aero has been advertising in Sport Aviation with
increasingly larger and more prominent page space, which is nice, because it
means they are at least pretending to be in business. Has anyone out there ever
ordered and received an engine from them, or even know anyone who has? Did
anyone see their booth at Oshkosh? Do they even have an engine to show, much less
to sell? Are there any Canadians out there, who live near Toronto, who know a
way to put pressure on them? I ordered my engine in October of 2001. Has anyone
else had to wait three years for an engine?
As some of you may remember, I brought this up a few months ago, and have so
far only received numerous promises that it will be shipped in two weeks. When
nothing shows up, I call and am very calmly given another date, with no
mention of what happened to the last one. I tried the firm approach, but it only
got me shock and dismay at my rude and offensive behavior for a response. My
current patient approach doesn't seem to be working either, so I need to try
something else.
I'd appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide in this matter. I'm
thinking of sending portions of this letter to Sport Aviation's advertising
department, in case Crossflow is in fact only in the business of taking money. They
can hardly be expected to make any guarantees about their advertisers, but I
think they'd like to know if something bad was happening. I suppose Crossflow
could be experiencing backlogs or technical difficulties, but repeatedly making
promises they can't keep is hardly the way to handle that.
For those who are interested, here is a little more background: The engine
was supposed to be delivered six months after placing the order, but there was
nothing in the contract to that effect, so that's really only a starting point.
They asked for the second payment in February of 2002, so at that point
everything seemed to be on track. Around that time, my painter completely ruined my
Velocity, abandoned half of it in a hangar two hundred miles away, and left
town. As I had no use for an engine while I was sanding off paint, I didn't put
any pressure on Crossflow when I didn't hear from them during the rest of
2002. Once, I called to make sure they were still in business and some tech told
me that they had lost their reduction unit provider and were building their
own. As that seemed reasonable, I forgave them for the delay, but not for the
fact that they didn't bother to tell me. In the later part of 2003, my next
painter seemed to be closing in on fixing the mess the first one had made, so I
called Crossflow to check on the status of my engine. No one who knew anything
was there, but Jorge called back and expressed his surprise that I had been
waiting for so long without any explanation, apologized, and promised that my
engine would be shipped in two weeks. A month or so later, Anna, who had taken my
initial order, told me that Jorge was wrong, but that they would have my
engine ready in two weeks. She is very pleasant, and we discussed what had
happened up to that point, including the fact that other than not being told what was
going on, I wasn't particularly upset about not having my engine, due to
problems with painters. A couple of months later, after several more two week
delivery dates came and went, I tried my firm approach, attacking their completely
lack of communication with their customers and inability to live up to
numerous promises on delivery dates, in a letter even longer than this one. Anna was
shocked and dismayed, called my statements appalling, slanderous, and untrue,
and said she couldn't believe I would say such things considering the
pleasant and professional relationship we had built up over the years. When she
calmed down, her only explanation was that she thought I didn't want my engine
until my painter was finished and that she was waiting for me to let her know when
I was ready. Seeing that I would get nowhere being firm, I told her I was
ready, and she asked for the final payment in April of 2004. According to the
contract, the final payment is to be made when the engine is ready for shipment.
Once she had the payment she told me they would ship my engine in two weeks.
She has said the same thing many times since April, and still no engine. The
last promised shipment date was in July, but she added that they were getting
ready for Oshkosh and that they were waiting for Velocity to provide them with
some dimensions. I realized then that she was lying about the delivery date,
and decided to come up with a new plan before calling her again. Obviously, I
have made several mistakes in dealing with them, including: admitting I didn't
mind the initial delay, trusting them, and sending the final payment without
some kind of guarantee that they were actually going to send me an engine in
return. But these are hardly mistakes that harm Crossflow, so I don't know what
they could blame me for, other than causing a misunderstanding or two.
To anyone who has made it this far: any suggestions?
Doug Hayes
Velocity 173FG (in limbo)
Boulder, CO
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040826/d25952e7/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list