REFLECTOR: ALL FIRED UP

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 06:12:48 CDT 2004


I believe Dave is talking about re-configuring a fixed-pitch engine to allow constant speed propeller ops.  I'm pretty sure that your engine was "born" as a constant speed (most IO-540 engines are) - and the only thing necessary to get it ready for a cs prop is the removal of the plastic or thin metal plug that was inserted in the hub/flange to keep oil from dripping out during shipment.  The governor pad may have a plate (some engines are shipped with just a solid gasket) - which needs to be removed - to clear the way for a hydraulic governor and governor mounting gasket.  That should be "it".
SB
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Tom Martino 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 11:56 PM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: ALL FIRED UP


  So far this has been the most helpful suggestion.  I NEVER knew about the inner plug!  Once again the Reflector comes through ... because there are a whole bunch of people smarter than me - including Dave!  Thanks Mr. Dent.

   

   

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Dave Dent [mailto:davedent at comcast.net] 
  Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:42 PM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: ALL FIRED UP

   

  I just noticed your problem with the prop.  You said you removed the plug from your engine so you can run the C.S. prop.  But did you install the inner plug.  In order to run the fix pitch you have to remove the inner plug and install the outer plug.  But if you go back to a constant speed you have to install the inner plug.  In order to do this you have to order the right one and place it through the crank pass the governor transfer tube and tap it in place.  Some times they may have just drilled a hole through the  inner plug.  If it is the right size you can tap it and put a plug in it. But it is best to install a new one.  Look at the engine parts manual and you will see it.  The outer plug is the same on most of the Lycomings.  The inner plug is different on most because of the size of the cranks inner diameter.  Make sure to check this.  The C/S will not cycle without the inner plug installed.

  Dave

    ----- Original Message ----- 

    From: Tom Martino 

    To: reflector at www.tvbf.org 

    Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 12:03 PM

    Subject: REFLECTOR: ALL FIRED UP

     

    I'll help break the silence.  I have fired up my IO-540 about 5 times so far.  It runs great and has a Lightspeed Electronic Ignition.

     

    However, when it comes to cycling the prop ... I never notice a change in pitch!  (I have an MT 4-blade)

     

    I know the governor is working and I removed the plug from the shaft ... 

     

    Someone said you really have to crank it up in RPM to get a change in pitch or it'll be too slow to notice.

     

    Unfortunately, I did not have my tack hooked up for these initial firings.  The tach is part of my EFIS system which has not yet been calibrated.  So, I can't really say what RPM I was running.

     

    It sure felt like enough to get at least some indication!  Any ideas?

     

    I am using straight mineral oil on my new engine (if that makes a difference). 

     

     


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040820/f2a1c7ca/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list