REFLECTOR: Speed Brake Construction Question

Randy Wharton rwharton at buckeye-express.com
Mon Aug 9 12:39:35 CDT 2004


Uh oh! Sounds like in for it now! As an update, I did talk to Brendan at
Velocity this morning to get some clarification on the hard point issue. He
gave me the same basic information - the hard point is not for the speed
brake, but for the MG actuator. Additionally, the hard point in question is
plywood, not aluminum. The suggested recommendation (if I understood him
correctly) is to put a couple of additional hard points on the sides of the
keel in the correct location and run a bolt through the keel sides for the
MG actuator to attach to. He said he has some printed documentation he was
looking for that he would send me when he finds it. It seems to me that this
would be structurally more sound than the floor attachment anyway.

As you can probably tell, I prefer to find out exactly what's going on
before I start grinding away on something. I know that I stand to run into
interference problems with other components in the keel, and that's why I'd
like to know what I need to do beforehand. I guess I "assumed" that when I
opted to install the "optional" speed brake that there would be a set of
instructions (addendum to the manual) that would address installation in an
RG, and hopefully that's what Brendan is in the process of sending. I'm
still very early in the building process and I prefer to do things right the
first time. As it comes together more, I know I'll have a better idea of
what goes where and how assembly A affects assemblies B-Z, but I'm still
working on getting the "big picture". The more work I do, the clearer the
picture is becoming; I know you can't build the plane one step at a time,
but rather you have to take into account lots of steps for each thing I do -
and when I lose sight of that, I'll find myself doing things over again. And
as much as I am enjoying building, I'd much rather be flying it!

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of robajohnson at comcast.net
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 12:08 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Speed Brake Construction Question

>>Is the measurement in the manual wrong?<<
Here is the deal! Since you bought an RG that is *not* your speed break hard
point that is your main gear actuator hard point!!
Longer post to follow but for now relax!
Let me get caught up on a few things at work and I'll do my normal way too
long, boring and verbose post later....
Dm Rob

> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Randy Wharton
> Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 12:44 PM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Speed Brake Construction Question
>
>
> First of all, thanks for everyones input on whether or not I should put
> a
> speed brake in my XL-RG. After considering everyones input, I decided
> that
> Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, so Im
> working on putting it in now.
>
> Almost immediately I have run across into something Im not sure of, so
> if
> anyone can help out, Id appreciate it. The hard point for the actuator
> on
> the speed brake itself is clearly shown in the manual to center
> (longitudinally) at 8 forward of the trailing edge and offset = to the
> starboard side. No problem. However, the speed brake already has a hard
> point in it from the factory, but its not where they say I need to have
> it;
> its about 2 too far forward.
>
> Is the measurement in the manual wrong? The diagram in the manual shows
> the
> hard point maybe 1.5 inches from the leading edge, which is where the
> hard
> point seems to be, but the measurement Im given to go by is 8 from the
> trailing edge. Ive put a photo on my website to show what my speed
> brake
> looks like with the supposed hard point location marked on it, and you
> can
> see the relationship with the hard point already there from the factory.
> The
> photo is at http://cisweb.owens.edu/~rwharton/Velocity/speedbrake.jpg .
> The
> installed hard point is also about a half inch to the port side of where
> the
> manual calls for it. May be this is not the speed brake hard point, but a
> seat hard point?
>
> At any rate, has anyone got experience with this little anomaly? Sure I
> can
> call the factory tomorrow, but its the weekend and Im building!!!
>
> Randy and Becky Wharton
> N248RB - Velocity XL-RG
> http://clik.to/velocity
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040809/44243b73/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list