REFLECTOR: 20B runs on the plane
Dennis Martin
dmartin at cougar.netutah.net
Mon Aug 9 09:21:25 CDT 2004
Al,
Did you have a test prop? If so, which prop?
Smooth is what you rotary guys want. Congrats on your test. I'm
close to cranking up my Chevy, so you're getting me all excited.
All the best,
Dennis Martin
>Ah-h-h; at last the smell of fuel and exhaust instead of epoxy. One
>milestone in an airplane building project like this is running the
>engine on the plane for the first time. I was able to do that
>today. It was successful; and quite short.
>
>The reason for its brevity was the loss of use of the engine
>monitor. This happened before the run - the display was dead the
>second time I turned it on for reasons yet to be determined. After
>some checks, and a couple of phone calls, it was agreed there were
>no further checks I could effectively do, so it is removed and
>packed for shipment back to the supplier.
>
>I chose to proceed with a brief run anyway just to see that
>everything needed for engine operation was functional. As most of
>you know, I had previously run the engine on the dynamometer. The
>engine fired off promptly and ran just above idle just long enough
>for oil and coolant to flow and get detectably warm. After checking
>everything out, there were no leaks, and I knew oil was flowing by
>the slight warmth of the filters and cooler. I fired it up again,
>adjusted mixture a bit, ran for a bit, added a bit of throttle a
>couple of times, and shutdown. This time I could also verify warm
>coolant flow throughout the system, and all air bled out of both
>radiators. Very nice.
>
>Disappointed there will be no more runs until I have a functional
>engine monitoring system - delighted that everything else was just
>fine!
>
>How does it sound? POWERFULL! (OK, noisy). How does it feel? Smooth!
>
>Al
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040809/0cd9619b/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list