REFLECTOR: Speed Brake Construction Question

Randy Wharton rwharton at buckeye-express.com
Sun Aug 8 12:43:55 CDT 2004


First of all, thanks for everyone’s input on whether or not I should put
a speed brake in my XL-RG. After considering everyone’s input, I decided
that I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, so
I’m working on putting it in now.
 
Almost immediately I have run across into something I’m not sure of, so
if anyone can help out, I’d appreciate it. The hard point for the
actuator on the speed brake itself is clearly shown in the manual to
center (longitudinally) at 8” forward of the trailing edge and offset ½”
to the starboard side. No problem. However, the speed brake already has
a hard point in it from the factory, but it’s not where they say I need
to have it; it’s about 2” too far forward. 
 
Is the measurement in the manual wrong? The diagram in the manual shows
the hard point maybe 1.5 inches from the leading edge, which is where
the hard point seems to be, but the measurement I’m given to go by is 8”
from the trailing edge. I’ve put a photo on my website to show what my
speed brake looks like with the supposed hard point location marked on
it, and you can see the relationship with the hard point already there
from the factory. The photo is at
http://cisweb.owens.edu/~rwharton/Velocity/speedbrake.jpg . The
installed hard point is also about a half inch to the port side of where
the manual calls for it. Maybe this is not the speed brake hard point,
but a seat hard point?
 
At any rate, has anyone got experience with this little anomaly? Sure I
can call the factory tomorrow, but it’s the weekend and I’m building!!!
 
Randy and Becky Wharton
N248RB - Velocity XL-RG
http://clik.to/velocity
 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040808/b8f7f132/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list