REFLECTOR: Leaning technique
xjets02 at x-jets.com
xjets02 at x-jets.com
Wed Aug 4 12:11:08 CDT 2004
Quoting Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>:
>
> >The mixture could be linked to the throttle. It only worked one way
> >lean to rich. If you were running lean and you advanced the throttle
> >the mixture could be advanced automatically in sympathy. It looked like
> >it had adjustment so you could set your parameters. Essentially to
> >prevent an excessively lean operation.
>
> I'm sure I wouldn't want his. Once I get the mixture leaned out I don't
> want to change it unless I change altitude. Also I'm leaned to say 75LOP
> and decide to cruise climb to 11500 from 9500, I would just increase the
> throttle, give a bit of up trim and leave everything else alone until
> reaching 11500. Then I would lean out a bit more to get back to 75LOP.
>
Scott,
I usualy cruise above 9k and my leaning technique involves going to full
throttle and then leaning down to my cruise RPM. With Electronic Ignition this
gives the maximum efficiency possible for my chosen cruise speed. There is no
danger of overheating an exhaust valve above 8K with a normaly aspirated
engine.
If I find that I have drifted a little low, I don't have to move the throttle or
mixture to climb up a few hundred feet. Selecting carb heat enrichens the
mixture and the engine produces more power, and so the aircraft climbs.
This only works for small altitude changes and only when you running lean of
peak.
More information about the Reflector
mailing list