REFLECTOR:Skysport fuel level probe

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:58:27 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01C42D0F.BC44C780
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Al,

I'd suggest you go ahead and pull the probes, build a test tube from =
clear nylon tubing (3/4" id is good), and put the probe in with some =
gasoline and do some calibrating.  I pulled mine (Westach -but very =
similar -if not the same as the Skysports), and reinstalled them without =
any leaks appearing.  I used a product called hypalon which seals =
gasoline well but does not harden.  It is in a tube, blue color and you =
can get it at Advance Auto, Autozone, etc.

Then you'll have calibrated probes and you can determine just what the =
"proprietary" output is. Then I'd share the secret with the whole world. =
=20

By the way, I considered Skysport, but bought Westach and got good =
support from them.=20

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Al Gietzen=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 10:07 AM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Skysport fuel level probe


  After further inquires I now get this response from Skysports:



  Current specs are proprietary, sorry we can't share the details. =
Suffice to say we can emulate any variable resistance sender. All probes =
from 4" to 24" are $75 with hardware.



  The output from a sensor I paid them for is proprietary?  Go figure!



  Al



  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On =
Behalf Of Scott Baker
  Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 2:55 AM
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Skysport fuel level probe



  Skysports makes several types of fuel senders.  If you purchased the =
probes through Velocity, they are 12v IN and 0-5v OUT.

  SB

    ----- Original Message -----=20

    From: Al Gietzen=20

    To: reflector=20

    Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2004 1:11 PM

    Subject: REFLECTOR:Skysport fuel level probe



    Does anybody know the signal output from a Skysport, capacitance =
type fuel level probe?  I bought it a few years back intending to use a =
Westach (or Mitchill) panel gauge, and got a probe for a 0 - 90 Ohm =
gauge.  Now I want to run the signal to my engine monitor system with =
digital display.



    I don't know what the signal output from the probe is - or the =
range.  I have called and e-mailed Skysport, and all I have been able to =
do is confirm that it is for a 0-90 Ohm gauge, which doesn't answer the =
question.  Further inquiry has so far gone unanswered.  I'd like to =
avoid , if possible, uninstalling the probe to make measurements just =
for concerns of leaks; and I'm not ready to fill the tank with fuel.



    Figured it couldn't hurt to ask, I've gotten lots of useful input =
from this group over the years; and it is greatly appreciated.



    Al


------=_NextPart_000_006A_01C42D0F.BC44C780
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.100" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Tahoma;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Verdana;
}
@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }
P.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
A:link {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.emailstyle17 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: windowtext; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-DECORATION: none
}
SPAN.EmailStyle18 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: blue; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana; TEXT-DECORATION: none
}
DIV.Section1 {
	page: Section1
}
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US vLink=3Dpurple link=3Dblue bgColor=3Dwhite>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Al,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'd suggest you go ahead and pull the probes, build =
a test=20
tube from clear nylon tubing (3/4" id is good), and put the probe in =
with some=20
gasoline and do some calibrating.&nbsp; I pulled mine (Westach -but very =
similar=20
-if not the same as the Skysports), and reinstalled them without any =
leaks=20
appearing.&nbsp; I used a product called hypalon which seals =
gasoline&nbsp;well=20
but does not harden.&nbsp; It is in a tube,&nbsp;blue color&nbsp;and you =
can get=20
it at Advance Auto, Autozone, etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Then you'll have calibrated probes and you can=20
determine&nbsp;just what the "proprietary" output is. Then I'd share the =

secret&nbsp;with the whole world.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>By the way, I considered Skysport, but bought =
Westach and got=20
good support from them. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DALVentures@cox.net href=3D"mailto:ALVentures@cox.net">Al =
Gietzen</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, April 28, 2004 =
10:07=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:Skysport =
fuel=20
  level probe</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblue size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">After =
further=20
  inquires I now get this response from Skysports:</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblue size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Current specs are proprietary, sorry we =
can't share=20
  the details. Suffice to say we can emulate any variable resistance =
sender. All=20
  probes from 4" to 24" are $75 with hardware.</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblue size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">The =
output from a=20
  sensor I paid them for is proprietary?&nbsp; Go =
figure!</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblue size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblue size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana">Al</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblue size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: blue; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT face=3DTahoma =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">-----Original=20
  Message-----<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">From:</SPAN></B>=20
  reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] <B><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">On Behalf Of </SPAN></B>Scott =
Baker<BR><B><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Sent:</SPAN></B> Monday, April 26, 2004 =
2:55=20
  AM<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">To:</SPAN></B>=20
  reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: =
bold">Subject:</SPAN></B>=20
  Re: REFLECTOR:Skysport fuel level probe</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT face=3D"Times =
New Roman"=20
  size=3D3><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <DIV>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Skysports makes several =
types of=20
  fuel senders.&nbsp; If you purchased the probes through Velocity, they =
are 12v=20
  IN and 0-5v OUT.</SPAN></FONT></P></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial">SB</SPAN></FONT></P></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: =
medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 3pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; MARGIN: 5pt 0in 5pt =
3pt; BORDER-LEFT: black 1.5pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: =
medium none">
    <DIV>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">----- Original Message =
-----=20
    </SPAN></FONT></P></DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"font-color: black">
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; MARGIN-LEFT: =
0.5in"><B><FONT=20
    face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial">From:</SPAN></FONT></B><FONT=20
    face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial"> <A=20
    title=3DALVentures@cox.net href=3D"mailto:ALVentures@cox.net">Al =
Gietzen</A>=20
    </SPAN></FONT></P></DIV>
    <DIV>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><B><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
    size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial">To:</SPAN></FONT></B><FONT=20
    face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial"> <A=20
    title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org =
href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector</A>=20
    </SPAN></FONT></P></DIV>
    <DIV>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><B><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
    size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial">Sent:</SPAN></FONT></B><FONT=20
    face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial"> Sunday,=20
    April 25, 2004 1:11 PM</SPAN></FONT></P></DIV>
    <DIV>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><B><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
    size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial">Subject:</SPAN></FONT></B><FONT=20
    face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial">=20
    REFLECTOR:Skysport fuel level probe</SPAN></FONT></P></DIV>
    <DIV>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
    size=3D3><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: =
12pt"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3DVerdana=20
    size=3D2><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Does =
anybody know=20
    the signal output from a Skysport, capacitance type fuel level =
probe?=20
    &nbsp;I bought it a few years back intending to use a Westach (or =
Mitchill)=20
    panel gauge, and got a probe for a 0 &#8211; 90 Ohm gauge.&nbsp; Now =
I want to run=20
    the signal to my engine monitor system with digital=20
    display.</SPAN></FONT></P>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
    size=3D3><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3DVerdana=20
    size=3D2><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I =
don&#8217;t know what=20
    the signal output from the probe is &#8211; or the range.&nbsp; I =
have called and=20
    e-mailed Skysport, and all I have been able to do is confirm that it =
is for=20
    a 0-90 Ohm gauge, which doesn&#8217;t answer the question.&nbsp; =
Further inquiry=20
    has so far gone unanswered. &nbsp;I&#8217;d like to avoid , if =
possible,=20
    uninstalling the probe to make measurements just for concerns of =
leaks; and=20
    I&#8217;m not ready to fill the tank with fuel.</SPAN></FONT></P>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
    size=3D3><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3DVerdana=20
    size=3D2><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana">Figured it=20
    couldn&#8217;t hurt to ask, I&#8217;ve gotten lots of useful input =
from this group over=20
    the years; and it is greatly appreciated.</SPAN></FONT></P>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
    size=3D3><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
    <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><FONT =
face=3DVerdana=20
    size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana">Al</SPAN></FONT></P></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTM=
L>

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01C42D0F.BC44C780--