REFLECTOR:Panel cutouts and labels

Nolan Frederick reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:59:03 -0600


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C42CAB.3C0ED010
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Al,=20
I used to make one-of-a-kind electronics systems for research =
experiments. I tried all kinds of letter transfer methods to label the =
controls on the panels. The only labels I ever found that were able to =
withstand people's fingers and still look nice were silkscreened onto =
the panel.  Silkscreening is a bear on curved surfaces but if you're =
careful and take your time you can get nice looking labels.  Ok, I admit =
it, silkscreening is a bear on flat surfaces also,  AND there is some =
equipment involved.  Talk to knowledgeable people in an art supply =
store.  Ask for someone who has actually done silkscreening.
nolan.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Al Gietzen=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 12:08 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:Panel cutouts and labels


  Anybody know a slick way of making accurate rectangular holes in the =
panel for rocker switches?  (And don't tell me to get smart and use =
toggles).



  And then there is labeling.  I'm sure there have been postings on best =
ways to do this, and I thought I was archiving stuff I wanted to keep =
for later; but I can't anything.  Came up empty scanning the Reflector =
archives as well.  Do I recall something about printing out on adhesive =
backed, clear sheet?  Any way of making engraved labels without buying =
expensive panel overlays (e.g. http://www.frontpanelexpress.com) ?



  Thanks,



  Al

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C42CAB.3C0ED010
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Verdana;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Nimrod;
}
@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 62.3pt 1.0in 62.3pt; }
P.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
A:link {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
P.MsoPlainText {
	FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: Nimrod
}
LI.MsoPlainText {
	FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: Nimrod
}
DIV.MsoPlainText {
	FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: Nimrod
}
DIV.Section1 {
	page: Section1
}
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US vLink=3Dpurple link=3Dblue bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Al, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I used to make one-of-a-kind electronics systems for =
research=20
experiments. I tried all kinds of letter transfer methods&nbsp;to=20
label&nbsp;the&nbsp;controls on&nbsp;the panels.&nbsp;The =
only&nbsp;labels I=20
ever found that&nbsp;were able to withstand people's fingers and still =
look=20
nice&nbsp;were silkscreened onto the panel.&nbsp; Silkscreening is a =
bear on=20
curved surfaces but if you're careful and take your time you can get =
nice=20
looking labels.&nbsp; Ok, I admit&nbsp;it, silkscreening is&nbsp;a bear =
on flat=20
surfaces also,&nbsp; AND there is some equipment involved.&nbsp; Talk to =

knowledgeable people in an art supply store.&nbsp; Ask for someone who =
has=20
actually done silkscreening.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>nolan.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DALVentures@cox.net href=3D"mailto:ALVentures@cox.net">Al =
Gietzen</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, April 27, 2004 =
12:08=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Panel =
cutouts and=20
  labels</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoPlainText><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Anybody know a slick =
way of=20
  making accurate rectangular holes in the panel for rocker switches? =
&nbsp;(And=20
  don=92t tell me to get smart and use toggles).</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoPlainText><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblack =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoPlainText><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblack =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">And then =
there is=20
  labeling.&nbsp; I=92m sure there have been postings on best ways to do =
this, and=20
  I thought I was archiving stuff I wanted to keep for later; but I =
can=92t=20
  anything.&nbsp; Came up empty scanning the Reflector archives as =
well.&nbsp;=20
  Do I recall something about printing out on adhesive backed, clear=20
  sheet?&nbsp; Any way of making engraved labels without buying =
expensive panel=20
  overlays (e.g. <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/">http://www.frontpanelexpress.c=
om</A>)=20
  ?</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoPlainText><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblack =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoPlainText><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblack =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana">Thanks,</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoPlainText><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblack =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoPlainText><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblack =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana">Al</SPAN></FONT></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C42CAB.3C0ED010--