REFLECTOR:Buss material

Nolan Frederick reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:31:25 -0600


Good Grief Doug,  If you're an EE you know about "Skin Effect and Skin
Depth" and how skin depth depends of frequency.  You also SHOULD know about
D C resistance of conductors. conductivity, resistivity, etc. If you've
forgotten this stuff,  look in an encyclopedia.
nolan

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Douglas Holub" <doug.holub@comcast.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 7:06 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Buss material


> I'll admit I'm a little confused. I'm an electrical engineer, and I
remember
> learning that electrons move mostly on the surface of a conductor. I
thought
> stranded wire could carry more current than solid wire for that reason.
But
> I looked at Belden's web site yesterday, and that doesn't seem to be true.
> So out of curiosity I looked in some texts and on the web and saw that, at
> least electrostatically speaking, free electrons will be mostly on the
> surface of a conductor. I'm still not sure what happens when the current
> starts flowing.
> http://www.physics.ubc.ca/~janis/Courses/354/lectures/PHYS354.lect7.pdf
>
> One spelling note: a buss is a kiss.  A bus carries people or electrical
> current.
>
> Doug
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Dave Black" <dvblack@comcast.net>
> To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 8:51 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Buss material
>
>
> > David,
> >
> > > It must be a misunderstanding. The only time I've heard of the skin
> > > effect - were it's the outer surface that carries the current - is at
> very
> > > high frequencies.
> >
> > That's my understanding as well.
> > At DC or low AC frequencies, it's the wire cross-sectional area that
> matters.
> > Skin effect only comes into play at high (RF) frequencies. Might be an
> issue
> > for our transponder antenna, but not for our electrical buss.
> >
> > Dave Black
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>