REFLECTOR:Marvel Mystery Oil

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:53:08 -0400


In a message dated 4/26/2004 3:34:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, aminetech@bluefrog.com writes:

>  To reduce oil consumption it was recommended to use Marvel
> Mystery Oil.  One bottle in the oil and one in each of the 
> wing tanks.

I think Scott B is right on but let me add...

I've done it many a time. 'specially on Lycomings with their sticky valves. (morning sickness) I *think* it helps but that's not real scientific! It just kinda sorta seemed like it started and ran better after the treatment, know what I mean? 

Bear in mind though that this is not something you would do on a fresh engine. This is strictly therapy for old tired engines. Do it shortly before an oil change is due too. The point of this exercise is to break up old carbon deposits and degum your rings and valves. So after about 5 hours you will want to drain your oil and change your filter to get rid of all that carbon you theoretically broke loose. 

DM Rob