REFLECTOR:Buss material

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:56:37 EDT


-------------------------------1082948197
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I made a bus bar (attaching all my breakers) from brass brazing rod that is 
just over 1/8" thick. It is a very simple way to do it, but may not fit all 
aplications. 

Picture the back side of all the breakers spaced neatly about 1/4" appart. 
The female blade attachments that attach to the back of the breaker blade have a 
crimp opening of a little less than 1/8".  I bent the ends of the brazing rod 
to look like this  [____________]  The bent piece on each end was forced into 
the opening on the blade conector. Those were crimped and soldered. Between 
those, I used rather large wire (I forgot the number, but can look it up) and 
crimped/soldered it into the blade connectors on the back of each breaker. I 
then wrapped about 4 turns a piece around the brass rod, and torch soldered the 
connections. (Breakers NOT attached please :) It then like this:  
[_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_]

After each was built, I coated the whole unit (except for the blades) with 4 
coats of liquid electrical sealant. I have one of these for each of the 2 rows 
of breakers. Each bus bar is connected to a small screw terminal power bar 
with #8 wire. 
The resistance I measured is almost Nil. There are good and bad points to 
this method, but it is quick, overbuilt, and rugged. 
Now I still have to come up with a main power distribution method for my two 
batteries, and a few good grounding busses, but that should be relatively 
simple. 

I can take and send pics if anyone is interested. 

Kurt Winker

-------------------------------1082948197
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUS-ASCII http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; cha=
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffff=
f">
<DIV>I made a bus bar&nbsp;(attaching all my breakers)&nbsp;from brass brazi=
ng rod that is just over 1/8" thick. It is a very simple way to do it, but m=
ay not fit all aplications. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Picture the back side of all the breakers spaced neatly about 1/4" appa=
rt. The&nbsp;female blade&nbsp;attachments that&nbsp;attach to the&nbsp;back=
 of the breaker blade have a crimp opening of a little less than 1/8".&nbsp;=
 I bent the ends of the brazing rod to look like this&nbsp; [____________]&n=
bsp; The bent piece on each end was forced into the opening on the blade con=
ector. Those were crimped and soldered. Between those, I used rather large w=
ire (I forgot the number, but can look it up) and crimped/soldered it into t=
he blade connectors on the back of each breaker. I&nbsp;then wrapped about 4=
 turns a piece around the brass rod, and torch soldered the connections. (Br=
eakers NOT attached please :) It then like this:&nbsp; [_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I=
_]</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After each was built, I coated the whole unit (except for the blades) w=
ith 4 coats of liquid electrical sealant. I have&nbsp;one of these for each=20=
of the 2 rows of breakers. Each bus bar is connected to a small screw termin=
al power bar with #8 wire. </DIV>
<DIV>The resistance I measured is almost Nil.&nbsp;There are good and bad po=
ints to this method, but it is quick, overbuilt, and rugged. </DIV>
<DIV>Now I still have to come up with a main power distribution method for m=
y two batteries, and a few good grounding busses, but that should be relativ=
ely simple. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I can take and send pics if anyone is interested. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Kurt Winker</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

-------------------------------1082948197--