REFLECTOR:Engines - TSIO520 (failed cylinders)

Brian Michalk reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:36:52 -0500


I'm curious.  What exactly fails on the cylinders?

Is it cracking at the top end, do they lose the seal around the rings, or do
they have valve erosion problems?

40 inches is a lot.  What is the compression ratio and bore?

 Brian Michalk  <http://www.michalk.com>
Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done something.
Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and barely single


> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2004 8:52 AM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Engines - TSIO520
>
>
> I've been told that the reason the TSIO520 eats a set of jugs
> every 800 or
> so hours is because of running them at 40 inches of MP.  The recommended
> pressure  to get full power.
>
> My plan is to manually "Turbo Normalize" them by running around 30
> inches.  This should allow a more reasonable 1500 to 2000 hours
> of use out
> of the jugs.
>
> As far as the turbo plumbing, I don't know at this point.  That's why I
> asked the group if anybody has been down this road.  Maybe I would end up
> running it as a normally aspirated IO520?
>
> Scott
>
>
> At 11:38 AM 4/23/2004, you wrote:
> >In a message dated 4/22/2004 7:39:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> >sbakr@comcast.net writes:
> >
> > > Know anybody that has done a pusher TSIO520?
> >
> >As a proud owner of a TSIO520 I would recommend you avoid it. I
> nicknamed
> >it "The Jug Muncher". :-)
> >
> >BTW: Where in the world are you gonna put all the turbo plumbing in a
> >Velocity? I thought long and hard about and without making some large
> >blisters I don't think it can be done?
> >
> >Rob
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >_______________________________________________
> >To change your email address, visit
> >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> >Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> "Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> - Benjamin Franklin
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html