REFLECTOR:Engines
Scott Derrick
reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:12:28 -0600
This is good news.
I was just offered a rebuildable TIO540 for a very reasonable sum. I was
considering replacing my IO360 with it and putting a fixed pitched Catto on
it.
Like Joe, I thought it would have plenty of power to get me airborn in a
more reasonable runway length and I could run it in cruise at 50% power and
get the same performance I get with the IO360. I could also fly high with
the turbo and get some really interesting speeds no doubt.
I was wondering how much weight I would gain in the conversion.
Scott
At 05:54 AM 4/22/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Joe,
>Alan Shaw once had a standard with an IO540 on it. I heard a presentation
>he did at Sun-n-Fun a few years back saying that this was a great
>combination (although I'm not sure which prop he used). He says the CG
>box is very conservative and that the standard can actually handle the
>added weight of the 540. But, I do know the 173 wings are heavier and
>places more weight aft of the CG than the standard wings.
>
>Craig Catto can make a 3 blade prop for the
>540. <http://www.cattoprops.com/>http://www.cattoprops.com/
>
>And of course the 173 wings are the same as the XL, so that shouldn't be
>an issue.
>
>You'll have a real screamer - for certain. >From my owner list, I count
>at least 4 540's on standard fuselages - and Alan Shaw's was a 173.
>
>Ronnie
>----- Original Message -----
>From: <mailto:jewen@comporium.net>Joe
>To: <mailto:reflector@tvbf.org>reflector@tvbf.org
>Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 8:14 PM
>Subject: REFLECTOR:Engines
>
>I am considering engine options for my 173 Elite RG.
>
>Option 1. Does anyone know of a used Franklin 220 available. My current
>preference is a Franklin 220 with an IVO In-flight adjustable prop, but
>don't know if I can find a Franklin.
>
>Option 2. Has anyone heard of installing an O-540 (250 Hp version) in a
>173 RG. Here is my thinking (shoot holes in the theory as required) I do
>not want to pay the high price of an MT (a real budget buster.) The
>majority of my flying will be long cross countries so a fixed pitch prop
>optimized for cruise would be preferred. With that prop I realize the
>trade off is longer takeoff distance and reduce climb performance. So in
>comes the O-540, the additional horsepower will compensate for the lower
>climb performance prop. (Lower climb fuel economy is OK.) Other
>disadvantages: modifying the cowling (its only time), increased empty
>weight (81 pound, I can live with that), more front ballast required when
>flying solo (can live with that too.) Possible advantages: increased
>engine life (will be running slower than normal operating limits, lower
>CHT etc.), high density altitude or short strip - will have a little extra
>HP available.
>
>I welcome anyone's opinions or comments on #2.
>
>Thanks,
>Joe
"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin