REFLECTOR:Engines

Tom Martino reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:11:05 -0600


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42873.A6C544CB
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have one of "very few" 173 Elite RGs with an IO-540.  I only know of
two others.  The entire cowl was modified and I extended my nose a bit
to hold ballast.  I also went with a four-blade MT prop because I needed
a shorter "disc" area, since the engine hangs off the back farther.  I
have been in contact several times with Alan Shaw and with the factory.
Both have been a great help.  So far, I have not head of any of us
modifying the spar, strake or firewall area.
=20
=20
=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrence Epstein,MD [mailto:ljepstein@hotmail.com]=20
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 7:55 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Engines
=20
I believe that there were significant modifications, particularly to the
strake/Spar/Firewall area in order to handle the increased loads
=20
Larry Epstein
173 FGE
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Ronnie Brown
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 7:54 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Engines
=20
Hi Joe,
Alan Shaw once had a standard with an IO540 on it.  I heard a
presentation he did at Sun-n-Fun a few years back saying that this was a
great combination (although I'm not sure which prop he used).  He says
the CG box is very conservative and that the standard can actually
handle the added weight of the 540.  But, I do know the 173 wings are
heavier and places more weight aft of the CG than the standard wings. =20
=20
Craig Catto can make a 3 blade prop for the 540.
http://www.cattoprops.com/=20
=20
And of course the 173 wings are the same as the XL, so that shouldn't be
an issue.
=20
You'll have a real screamer - for certain.  From my owner list, I count
at least 4 540's on standard fuselages - and Alan Shaw's was a 173.
=20
Ronnie
	----- Original Message -----=20
	From: Joe <mailto:jewen@comporium.net> =20
	To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
	Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 8:14 PM
	Subject: REFLECTOR:Engines
	=20
	I am considering engine options for my 173 Elite RG.
	=20
	Option 1.  Does anyone know of a used Franklin 220 available.
My current preference is a Franklin 220 with an IVO In-flight adjustable
prop, but don't know if I can find a Franklin.
	=20
	Option 2.  Has anyone heard of installing an O-540 (250 Hp
version) in a 173 RG.  Here is my thinking (shoot holes in the theory as
required)  I do not want to pay the high price of an MT (a real budget
buster.)  The majority of my flying will be long cross countries so a
fixed pitch prop optimized for cruise would be preferred.  With that
prop I realize the trade off is longer takeoff distance and reduce climb
performance.  So in comes the O-540, the additional horsepower will
compensate for the lower climb performance prop.  (Lower climb fuel
economy is OK.)  Other disadvantages: modifying the cowling (its only
time),  increased empty weight (81 pound, I can live with that), more
front ballast required when flying solo (can live with that too.)
Possible advantages: increased engine life (will be running slower than
normal operating limits, lower CHT etc.), high density altitude or short
strip - will have a little extra HP available.
	=20
	I welcome anyone's opinions or comments on #2.
	=20
	Thanks,
	Joe

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42873.A6C544CB
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:st1=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">


<meta name=3DProgId content=3DWord.Document>
<meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 10">
<meta name=3DOriginator content=3D"Microsoft Word 10">
<link rel=3DFile-List href=3D"cid:filelist.xml@01C42841.7B58D0E0">
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"time"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"City"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"place"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"date"/>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
  <o:DoNotRelyOnCSS/>
 </o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <w:WordDocument>
  <w:SpellingState>Clean</w:SpellingState>
  <w:GrammarState>Clean</w:GrammarState>
  <w:DocumentKind>DocumentEmail</w:DocumentKind>
  <w:EnvelopeVis/>
  <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
 </w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>
<style>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
</style>
<![endif]-->
<style>
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;
	mso-font-charset:0;
	mso-generic-font-family:swiss;
	mso-font-pitch:variable;
	mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;}
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{mso-style-parent:"";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
	mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:Arial;
	mso-ascii-font-family:Arial;
	mso-hansi-font-family:Arial;
	mso-bidi-font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
	mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:Arial;
	mso-ascii-font-family:Arial;
	mso-hansi-font-family:Arial;
	mso-bidi-font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
span.GramE
	{mso-style-name:"";
	mso-gram-e:yes;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
	mso-header-margin:.5in;
	mso-footer-margin:.5in;
	mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
 /* Style Definitions */=20
 table.MsoNormalTable
	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
	mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
	mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-style-parent:"";
	mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
	mso-para-margin:0in;
	mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
</style>
<![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

<body bgcolor=3Dwhite lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue vlink=3Dblue =
style=3D'tab-interval:.5in'>

<div class=3DSection1>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>I have one of &#8220;very =
few&#8221; 173
Elite RGs with an IO-540.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
</span>I only know of
two others.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>The entire =
cowl was modified
and I extended my nose a bit to hold ballast. <span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>I also went with a four-blade MT =
prop because
I needed a shorter &#8220;disc&#8221; area, since the engine hangs off =
the back
farther.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>I have been in =
contact several
times with Alan Shaw and with the factory.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;
</span>Both have been a great help.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>So
far, I have not head of any of us modifying the spar, strake or firewall =
area.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D2 color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 color=3Dnavy face=3D"Times New =
Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:navy;mso-no-proof:yes'>&nbsp;</span></fon=
t><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3DTahoma><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>-----Original =
Message-----<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>From:</span></b> Lawrence =
Epstein<span
class=3DGramE>,MD</span> [mailto:ljepstein@hotmail.com] <br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Sent:</span></b> =
</span></font><st1:date
Month=3D"4" Day=3D"22" Year=3D"2004"><font size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span =
style=3D'font-size:
 10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>Thursday, April 22, =
2004</span></font></st1:date><font
size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'> </span></font><st1:time
Hour=3D"7" Minute=3D"55"><font size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
 font-family:Tahoma'>7:55 AM</span></font></st1:time><font size=3D2 =
face=3DTahoma><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'><br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>To:</span></b> =
reflector@tvbf.org<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Subject:</span></b> RE: =
REFLECTOR<span
class=3DGramE>:Engines</span></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>I believe that =
there were
significant modifications, particularly to the strake/Spar/Firewall area =
in
order to handle the increased loads<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>=
</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Larry =
Epstein<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>173 =
FGE<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
color=3Dnavy face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>=
</span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:.5in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3DTahoma><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>-----Original =
Message-----<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>From:</span></b> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org
[mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] <b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>On =
Behalf
Of </span></b>Ronnie Brown<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Sent:</span></b> =
</span></font><st1:date
Month=3D"4" Day=3D"22" Year=3D"2004"><font size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span =
style=3D'font-size:
 10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>Thursday, April 22, =
2004</span></font></st1:date><font
size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'> </span></font><st1:time
Hour=3D"7" Minute=3D"54"><font size=3D2 face=3DTahoma><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
 font-family:Tahoma'>7:54 AM</span></font></st1:time><font size=3D2 =
face=3DTahoma><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'><br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>To:</span></b> =
reflector@tvbf.org<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Subject:</span></b> Re: =
REFLECTOR:Engines</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Hi Joe,</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Alan Shaw once had a standard with an IO540 =
on
it.&nbsp; I heard a presentation he did at Sun-n-Fun a few years back =
saying that
this was a great combination (although I'm not sure which prop he =
used).&nbsp;
He says the CG box is very conservative and that the standard can =
actually
handle the added weight of the 540.&nbsp; But, I do know the 173 wings =
are
heavier and places more weight aft of the CG than the standard =
wings.&nbsp; </span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Craig Catto can make a 3 blade prop for the =
540.&nbsp;
<a =
href=3D"http://www.cattoprops.com/">http://www.cattoprops.com/</a>&nbsp;<=
/span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>And of course the 173 wings are the same as =
the XL, so
that shouldn't be an issue.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>You'll have a real screamer - for =
certain.&nbsp; From
my owner list,&nbsp;I count at least&nbsp;4 540's on standard fuselages =
- and
Alan Shaw's was a 173.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Ronnie</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<blockquote style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid black =
1.5pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 4.0pt;
margin-left:3.75pt;margin-top:5.0pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:5.0pt'=
>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>----- Original Message =
----- <o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div style=3D'font-color:black'>

<p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-left:1.0in;background:#E4E4E4'><b><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;font-weight:
bold'>From:</span></font></b><font size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> <a href=3D"mailto:jewen@comporium.net"
title=3D"jewen@comporium.net">Joe</a> <o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><b><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold'>To:</span><=
/font></b><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> <a
href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org" =
title=3D"reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</a>
<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><b><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold'>Sent:</span=
></font></b><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> </span></font><st1:date
Month=3D"4" Day=3D"21" Year=3D"2004"><font size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:
 10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Wednesday, April 21, =
2004</span></font></st1:date><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> </span></font><st1:time
Hour=3D"20" Minute=3D"14"><font size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
 font-family:Arial'>8:14 PM</span></font></st1:time><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'><o:p></o:p></span></font></p=
>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><b><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold'>Subject:</s=
pan></font></b><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>
REFLECTOR:Engines<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>I am considering engine =
options for
my 173 Elite RG.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Option 1.&nbsp; Does anyone =
know of
a used </span></font><st1:City><st1:place><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
  =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Franklin</span></font></st1:=
place></st1:City><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> 220
available.&nbsp; My current preference is a =
</span></font><st1:City><st1:place><font
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Franklin</span></font></st1:=
place></st1:City><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'> 220 with an
IVO In-flight adjustable prop, but don't know if I can find a =
</span></font><st1:City><st1:place><font
  size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Franklin</span></font></st1:=
place></st1:City><font
size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>.</span></font><o:p></o:p></=
p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Option 2.&nbsp; Has anyone =
heard of
installing an O-540 (250 Hp version) in a 173 RG.&nbsp; Here is my =
thinking
(shoot holes in the theory as required)&nbsp; I do not want to pay the =
high
price of an MT (a real budget buster.)&nbsp; The majority of my flying =
will be
long cross countries so a fixed pitch prop optimized for cruise would be
preferred.&nbsp; With that prop I realize the trade off is longer =
takeoff
distance and reduce climb performance.&nbsp; So in comes the O-540, the
additional horsepower will compensate for the lower climb performance
prop.&nbsp; (Lower climb fuel economy is OK.)&nbsp; Other disadvantages:
modifying the cowling (its only time),&nbsp; increased empty weight (81 =
pound,
I can live with that), more front ballast required when flying solo (can =
live
with that too.)&nbsp; Possible advantages: increased engine life (will =
be
running slower than normal operating limits, lower CHT etc.), high =
density altitude
or short strip - will have a little extra HP =
available.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>I welcome anyone's opinions =
or
comments on #2.</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D3 =
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Thanks,</span></font><o:p></=
o:p></p>

</div>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-left:1.0in'><font size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Joe</span></font><o:p></o:p>=
</p>

</div>

</blockquote>

</div>

</body>

</html>
=00
------_=_NextPart_001_01C42873.A6C544CB--