REFLECTOR:Engines

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:54:15 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C4283F.023820A0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Joe,
Alan Shaw once had a standard with an IO540 on it.  I heard a =
presentation he did at Sun-n-Fun a few years back saying that this was a =
great combination (although I'm not sure which prop he used).  He says =
the CG box is very conservative and that the standard can actually =
handle the added weight of the 540.  But, I do know the 173 wings are =
heavier and places more weight aft of the CG than the standard wings. =20

Craig Catto can make a 3 blade prop for the 540.  =
http://www.cattoprops.com/=20

And of course the 173 wings are the same as the XL, so that shouldn't be =
an issue.

You'll have a real screamer - for certain.  From my owner list, I count =
at least 4 540's on standard fuselages - and Alan Shaw's was a 173.

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 8:14 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:Engines


  I am considering engine options for my 173 Elite RG.

  Option 1.  Does anyone know of a used Franklin 220 available.  My =
current preference is a Franklin 220 with an IVO In-flight adjustable =
prop, but don't know if I can find a Franklin.

  Option 2.  Has anyone heard of installing an O-540 (250 Hp version) in =
a 173 RG.  Here is my thinking (shoot holes in the theory as required)  =
I do not want to pay the high price of an MT (a real budget buster.)  =
The majority of my flying will be long cross countries so a fixed pitch =
prop optimized for cruise would be preferred.  With that prop I realize =
the trade off is longer takeoff distance and reduce climb performance.  =
So in comes the O-540, the additional horsepower will compensate for the =
lower climb performance prop.  (Lower climb fuel economy is OK.)  Other =
disadvantages: modifying the cowling (its only time),  increased empty =
weight (81 pound, I can live with that), more front ballast required =
when flying solo (can live with that too.)  Possible advantages: =
increased engine life (will be running slower than normal operating =
limits, lower CHT etc.), high density altitude or short strip - will =
have a little extra HP available.

  I welcome anyone's opinions or comments on #2.

  Thanks,
  Joe

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C4283F.023820A0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.100" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi Joe,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Alan Shaw once had a standard with an IO540 on =
it.&nbsp; I=20
heard a presentation he did at Sun-n-Fun a few years back saying that =
this was a=20
great combination (although I'm not sure which prop he used).&nbsp; He =
says the=20
CG box is very conservative and that the standard can actually handle =
the added=20
weight of the 540.&nbsp; But, I do know the 173 wings are heavier and =
places=20
more weight aft of the CG than the standard wings.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Craig Catto can make a 3 blade prop for the =
540.&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://www.cattoprops.com/">http://www.cattoprops.com/</A>&nbsp;<=
/FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>And of course the 173 wings are the same as the XL, =
so that=20
shouldn't be an issue.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You'll have a real screamer - for certain.&nbsp; =
>From my owner=20
list,&nbsp;I count at least&nbsp;4 540's on standard fuselages - and =
Alan Shaw's=20
was a 173.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Djewen@comporium.net =
href=3D"mailto:jewen@comporium.net">Joe</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, April 21, 2004 =
8:14=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> =
REFLECTOR:Engines</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am considering engine options for =
my 173 Elite=20
  RG.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Option 1.&nbsp; Does anyone know of a =
used=20
  Franklin 220 available.&nbsp; My current preference is a Franklin 220 =
with an=20
  IVO In-flight adjustable prop, but don't know if I can find a=20
  Franklin.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Option 2.&nbsp; Has anyone heard of =
installing an=20
  O-540 (250 Hp version) in a 173 RG.&nbsp; Here is my thinking (shoot =
holes in=20
  the theory as required)&nbsp; </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I do =
not want to=20
  pay the high price of an MT (a real budget buster.)&nbsp; The majority =
of my=20
  flying will be long cross countries so a fixed pitch prop optimized =
for cruise=20
  would be preferred.&nbsp; With that prop I realize the trade off is =
longer=20
  takeoff distance and reduce climb performance.&nbsp; So in comes the =
O-540,=20
  the additional horsepower will compensate for the lower climb =
performance=20
  prop.&nbsp; (Lower climb fuel economy is OK.)&nbsp; Other =
disadvantages:=20
  modifying the cowling (its only time),&nbsp; increased empty weight =
(81 pound,=20
  I can live with that), more front ballast required when flying solo =
(can live=20
  with that too.)&nbsp; Possible advantages: increased engine life (will =
be=20
  running slower than normal operating limits, lower CHT etc.), high =
density=20
  altitude or short strip - will have a little extra HP =
available.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I welcome anyone's opinions or =
comments on=20
  #2.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Joe</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C4283F.023820A0--