REFLECTOR: Strakes- where to build?
Andy Millin
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:32:08 -0400
Rob,
Where were you off by the 1/2? Do you think you would have avoided a
problem if you had put both wings on simultaneously, or was it that you
needed to build the baffles to get some structure before you took the
wing(s) off?
Andy
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On Behalf
Of RJohn15183@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 12:17 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Strakes- where to build?
> Chris,
>
> Back when DM Rob Johnson had his site available to the
> public, he had pictures of his strake installation.
> As I remember, he installed the strakes one at a time, one
> wing at a time.
Yep, I waited for a three day weekend and did both sides in three days
sticking one wing out the garage door at a time and allowing each side to
set up over night.
I thought it worked well but 2 years later when mounting the wings for real
I had solid half inch mismatch.
Yes. I was heart broken.
I thought the lower skin alone would be enough to lock the spar into place
but obviously it was not.
However, we did fix it so it looks fine now but it did take a LOT of micro!
So much micro that we put another ply of fine bid on top of it to keep it
from cracking off.
It's a tough call. Working at the house is a very powerful advantage.
Sooo...
Chris, my wife and I arrived at an arrangement years ago. She gets to doll
up the house with all the froo-froo crap she wants. My office and the garage
are MINE. On a square foot basis that gives her undisputed domination of
over 80% of the household. Just tell your loving wife in a selfless and
generous way, "Give me my 20% you selfish hag!" :-)
Then modify your garage door and stick a wing out. Build a "dog house"
extension to cover your winglet/rudder if needed. I give that plan the DM
stamp of approval! :) ;)
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html