REFLECTOR:Re: NPG+

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:12:48 -0400


This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42589.EC34CEC0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"

John,
 
I can't pass up an opportunity to show my ignorance (and there are many!),
but I thought the reason for keeping the water coolant under pressure was so
it would not boil against the cylinder jacket.  As we know, water has a
higher boiling point under pressure, so the few psig of the sealed coolant
system keeps the water from boiling when it hits the hot engine components.
When we take the cap off...every so carefully...that relieves the pressure
and the hot water near-instantly boils; spitting like a cobra into the face
of the unwary.  
 
The NPG+ article talks about how it won't "boil" and leave a layer of steam
against the hot metal.  Steam is actually quite a good insulator so the
engine metal will get even hotter if a layer of steam is present.  NPG+
says, since their solution won't boil, there will never been a steam layer
that thermally insulates the engine metal and thus the heat will be
conducted away more efficiently; reducing the potential for
knock/predetonation.
 
I got lost in the issue about the engine running hotter with NPG+.  Unless
they mean the whole engine can run hotter while critical components are kept
cooler, which will reduce the potential for mechanical damage from
predetonation while enjoying the ever so slight improvement of a hotter
engine?  Measuring such gains probably falls in the realm of the new
"Nanotechnology."
 
With all that said, some of their claims leave me thinking about the 'ole
West Medicine Wagon and their medicinal potions.  When the claims start
filling up a half-page, I start thinking about half-truths.
 
Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
aminetech@bluefrog.com
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 3:39 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR:Re: NPG+


This is news to me.  My only agument to the documented success is that it
seems contrary to principals of engine cooling.  The conventional
water/antifreeze mix boils in the cylinder jacket and boiling is the most
efficient means of heat transfer which means it will keep your engine the
coolest.  They admit that with NPG+ the engine runs hotter, but claim that
is a good thing for better efficiency.  It is true that the hotter the
engine the more thermodynamically efficient it will run, but it won't run
long if the temperature is too high.  Us with air cooled engines don't seem
to be looking for ways to increase our engine temps.  I suggest you record
your CHT/EGT temps wtih the distilled water and compare with NPG+.  If
you're comfortable with the higher temps using NPG+, then I guess it will be
ok.  Eliminating boil-over is a detriment rather than an asset IMO.  With a
conventional coolant if you lose coolant circulation, it boils over.
However as long as it is boiling over, you still have cooling and time to
prepare to shutdown before your engine overheats.  With the NPG+, I think
overheating would happen immediately upon loss of coolant circulation.
 
John

----- Original Message ----- 
From: NMFlyer1@aol.com <mailto:NMFlyer1@aol.com>  
To: reflector@tvbf.org <mailto:reflector@tvbf.org>  
Cc: dmartin@cougar.netutah.net <mailto:dmartin@cougar.netutah.net>  ;
ALVentures@cox.net <mailto:ALVentures@cox.net>  
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2004 7:06 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Velocity Manuals, Methods & Views

Greetings,   
 
 I wanted to get the information on a product I plan on using to all the
liquid cooled engine experimentors.  Specifically the NPG+ is of interest.
I know that it seems to work well in race applications and should add the
little extra benefit that our hard run engines may need. 
I plan on firing up my Chevy V-6 in about 4-6 weeks and will use distilled
water to ensure I have no leaks. Then I will flush the system and put in the
NPG+. 
 
 
Evans Cooling  <http://www.evanscooling.com/index2.html> Systems, Inc. High
Performance Engine Cooling and Power Production.
 
Let me know what you think, and I hope it helps.  
 
Kurt Winker
 
 


------_=_NextPart_001_01C42589.EC34CEC0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">


<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" 
bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004>John,</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004>I can't pass up an opportunity to show my 
ignorance (and there are many!), but I thought the reason for keeping the water 
coolant under pressure was so it would not boil against the cylinder 
jacket.&nbsp; As we know, water has a higher boiling point under pressure, so 
the few psig of the sealed coolant system keeps the water from boiling when it 
hits the hot engine components.&nbsp; When we take the cap off...every so 
carefully...that relieves the pressure and the hot water near-instantly boils; 
spitting like a cobra into the face of the unwary.&nbsp; </SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004>The NPG+ article talks about how it won't 
"boil" and leave a layer of steam against the hot metal.&nbsp; Steam is actually 
quite a good insulator so the engine metal will get even hotter if a layer of 
steam is present.&nbsp; NPG+ says, since their solution won't boil, there will 
never been a steam layer that thermally insulates the engine metal and thus the 
heat will be conducted away more efficiently; reducing the potential for 
knock/predetonation.</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004>I got lost in the issue about the engine 
running hotter with NPG+.&nbsp; Unless they mean the whole engine can run hotter 
while critical components are kept cooler, which will reduce the potential 
for&nbsp;mechanical damage from predetonation while enjoying the ever so slight 
improvement of a hotter engine?&nbsp; Measuring such gains probably falls in the 
realm of the new "Nanotechnology."</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004>With all that said, some of their claims 
leave me thinking about the 'ole West Medicine Wagon and their medicinal 
potions.&nbsp; When the claims start filling up&nbsp;a half-page, I start 
thinking about half-truths.</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=031475220-18042004>Chuck</SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT 
  face=Tahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> 
  reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of 
  </B>aminetech@bluefrog.com<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, April 18, 2004 3:39 
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Re: 
  NPG+<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>This is news to me.&nbsp; My only agument to the documented success is 
  that it seems contrary to principals of engine cooling.&nbsp; The conventional 
  water/antifreeze mix boils in the cylinder jacket and boiling is the most 
  efficient means of heat transfer which means it will keep your engine the 
  coolest.&nbsp; They admit that with NPG+ the engine runs hotter, but claim 
  that is a good thing for better efficiency.&nbsp; It is true that the hotter 
  the engine the more thermodynamically efficient it will run, but it won't run 
  long if the temperature is too high.&nbsp; Us with air cooled engines don't 
  seem to be looking for ways to increase our engine temps.&nbsp; I suggest you 
  record your CHT/EGT temps wtih the distilled water and compare with 
  NPG+.&nbsp; If you're comfortable with the higher temps&nbsp;using NPG+, then 
  I guess it will be ok.&nbsp; Eliminating boil-over is a detriment rather than 
  an asset IMO.&nbsp; With a conventional coolant if you lose coolant 
  circulation, it boils over.&nbsp; However as long as it is boiling over, you 
  still have cooling and time to prepare to shutdown before your engine 
  overheats.&nbsp; With the NPG+, I think overheating would happen immediately 
  upon loss of coolant circulation.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>John</DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr 
  style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV 
    style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> 
    <A title=NMFlyer1@aol.com 
    href="mailto:NMFlyer1@aol.com">NMFlyer1@aol.com</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=reflector@tvbf.org 
    href="mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Cc:</B> <A title=dmartin@cougar.netutah.net 
    href="mailto:dmartin@cougar.netutah.net">dmartin@cougar.netutah.net</A> ; <A 
    title=ALVentures@cox.net 
    href="mailto:ALVentures@cox.net">ALVentures@cox.net</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, April 17, 2004 7:06 
    PM</DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Velocity 
    Manuals, Methods &amp; Views</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV>Greetings,&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;I wanted to get the information on a product I plan on using to 
    all the liquid cooled engine experimentors.&nbsp; Specifically the NPG+ is 
    of interest.&nbsp; I know that it seems to work well in race applications 
    and should add the little extra benefit that our hard run engines may need. 
    </DIV>
    <DIV>I plan on firing up my Chevy V-6 in about 4-6 weeks and will use 
    distilled water to ensure I have no leaks. Then I will flush the system and 
    put in the NPG+. </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><A href="http://www.evanscooling.com/index2.html">Evans Cooling 
    Systems, Inc. High Performance Engine Cooling and Power 
Production.</A></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Let me know what you think, and I hope it helps.&nbsp; </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Kurt Winker</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C42589.EC34CEC0--