REFLECTOR:Re: NPG+

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:38:37 -0500


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C4255B.37616D40
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

This is news to me.  My only agument to the documented success is that =
it seems contrary to principals of engine cooling.  The conventional =
water/antifreeze mix boils in the cylinder jacket and boiling is the =
most efficient means of heat transfer which means it will keep your =
engine the coolest.  They admit that with NPG+ the engine runs hotter, =
but claim that is a good thing for better efficiency.  It is true that =
the hotter the engine the more thermodynamically efficient it will run, =
but it won't run long if the temperature is too high.  Us with air =
cooled engines don't seem to be looking for ways to increase our engine =
temps.  I suggest you record your CHT/EGT temps wtih the distilled water =
and compare with NPG+.  If you're comfortable with the higher temps =
using NPG+, then I guess it will be ok.  Eliminating boil-over is a =
detriment rather than an asset IMO.  With a conventional coolant if you =
lose coolant circulation, it boils over.  However as long as it is =
boiling over, you still have cooling and time to prepare to shutdown =
before your engine overheats.  With the NPG+, I think overheating would =
happen immediately upon loss of coolant circulation.

John
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: NMFlyer1@aol.com=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Cc: dmartin@cougar.netutah.net ; ALVentures@cox.net=20
  Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2004 7:06 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Velocity Manuals, Methods & Views


  Greetings,  =20

   I wanted to get the information on a product I plan on using to all =
the liquid cooled engine experimentors.  Specifically the NPG+ is of =
interest.  I know that it seems to work well in race applications and =
should add the little extra benefit that our hard run engines may need.=20
  I plan on firing up my Chevy V-6 in about 4-6 weeks and will use =
distilled water to ensure I have no leaks. Then I will flush the system =
and put in the NPG+.=20


  Evans Cooling Systems, Inc. High Performance Engine Cooling and Power =
Production.

  Let me know what you think, and I hope it helps. =20

  Kurt Winker



------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C4255B.37616D40
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
#ffffff"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>This is news to me.&nbsp; My only agument to the documented success =
is that=20
it seems contrary to principals of engine cooling.&nbsp; The =
conventional=20
water/antifreeze mix boils in the cylinder jacket and boiling is the =
most=20
efficient means of heat transfer which means it will keep your engine =
the=20
coolest.&nbsp; They admit that with NPG+ the engine runs hotter, but =
claim that=20
is a good thing for better efficiency.&nbsp; It is true that the hotter =
the=20
engine the more thermodynamically efficient it will run, but it won't =
run long=20
if the temperature is too high.&nbsp; Us with air cooled engines don't =
seem to=20
be looking for ways to increase our engine temps.&nbsp; I suggest you =
record=20
your CHT/EGT temps wtih the distilled water and compare with NPG+.&nbsp; =
If=20
you're comfortable with the higher temps&nbsp;using NPG+, then I guess =
it will=20
be ok.&nbsp; Eliminating boil-over is a detriment rather than an asset=20
IMO.&nbsp; With a conventional coolant if you lose coolant circulation, =
it boils=20
over.&nbsp; However as long as it is boiling over, you still have =
cooling and=20
time to prepare to shutdown before your engine overheats.&nbsp; With the =
NPG+, I=20
think overheating would happen immediately upon loss of coolant=20
circulation.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>John</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DNMFlyer1@aol.com =
href=3D"mailto:NMFlyer1@aol.com">NMFlyer1@aol.com</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Cc:</B> <A =
title=3Ddmartin@cougar.netutah.net=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:dmartin@cougar.netutah.net">dmartin@cougar.netutah.net</A>=
 ; <A=20
  title=3DALVentures@cox.net=20
  href=3D"mailto:ALVentures@cox.net">ALVentures@cox.net</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, April 17, 2004 =
7:06=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Velocity =
Manuals,=20
  Methods &amp; Views</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>Greetings,&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;I wanted to get the information on a product I plan on =
using to all=20
  the liquid cooled engine experimentors.&nbsp; Specifically the NPG+ is =
of=20
  interest.&nbsp; I know that it seems to work well in race applications =
and=20
  should add the little extra benefit that our hard run engines may =
need. </DIV>
  <DIV>I plan on firing up my Chevy V-6 in about 4-6 weeks and will use=20
  distilled water to ensure I have no leaks. Then I will flush the =
system and=20
  put in the NPG+. </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><A href=3D"http://www.evanscooling.com/index2.html">Evans Cooling =
Systems,=20
  Inc. High Performance Engine Cooling and Power Production.</A></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Let me know what you think, and I hope it helps.&nbsp; </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Kurt Winker</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C4255B.37616D40--