REFLECTOR:Jeffco and strakes

Scott Baker reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:03:53 -0400


Hello Alex,
The part itself is made from structural epoxy, so applying the first fuel
seal coat using structural epoxy isn't going to be a problem.  As Fred M.
said however, be sure to scratch the first coat to receive the Jeffco.
Scott B.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Alex Balic" <alex157@direcway.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 12:29 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Jeffco and strakes


> The only problem here is that I asked the Jeffco folks about this, and
maybe
> they were just trying to have me use more of their product, but they said
> that they could not guarantee the adhesion between their product and the
> Velocity structural resin, I am pretty sure that it is fine- so many
people
> doing it that way and all, but I didn't want to have any problems,
> especially in those narrow inside corners that were impossible to rough up
> with the sandpaper between coats- I used 3 coats total and really, the
> pinholes were gone after the second coat, but I did stay with it until it
> hardened and kept dappling the bubbles out.  The natural surface of the
> inside of the strakes was pretty rough already from the release cloth so I
> didn't worry about that too much, and I was able to sand all of it  before
> attaching anything to them anyway.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Fred Marconi
> Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 8:19 AM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Jeffco and strakes
>
>
>   Scott's suggestiuon of using structural epoxy first, the same procedure
> used to coat the sump tank, is a very good idea.  It saves you on Jeffco
> because it will seal the porosities better.  Make sure that when you coat
> the tanks you do it at a time when the temperatures are cool.  The foam
> tends to breathe, and when you coat the strake with Jeffco if the
> temperature warms up after placement the air inside the foam cells will
> expand and leave a pin whole in the coating.  I coated my strakes in the
> late evening knowing that the tempreatures would get colder as the
material
> set up.  It would be a good idea that after you coat the strake with the
> structural adheasive you lightly scuff it before applying the Jeffco.  The
> suggestion made to seal the upper strake with a mix of jeffco and
cav-o-seal
> and mill fiber is great.   It surely worked for me.
>
>   Let me sugggest that before you seal the tanks you go over it several
> times with a clean reag and alcohol.  Make sure that it is spotless before
> you seal it.  My fuel filter bearly picked up any sedimets.  When ever I
did
> anything and the fuel cap was open I stuck a vacuum hole in the tank and
> made sure I suctioned around the bottom.
>
>   Fred
>   N244FM
>
>   ----- Original Message -----
>   From: "Scott Baker" <sbakr@comcast.net>
>   To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
>   Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 7:00 AM
>   Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Jeffco and strakes
>
>
>   > Natalie has 1-gallon kits with the slow hardener.  I tend to use a lot
> ...
>   > 3-gallons would be my recommendation.  The folks in the service center
> use
>   > the structural epoxy as Coat #1, followed by 2-coats of Jeffco ...
which
>   > means you can probably get away with 2-gallons.
>   > Scott B.
>   >
>   >
>   > ----- Original Message -----
>   > From: "CBarber" <CBarber@texasattorney.net>
>   > To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
>   > Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 2:15 AM
>   > Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Jeffco and strakes
>   >
>   >
>   > > Now that I looked further at the AS&S site, I remembered there is
the
> fast
>   > > and medium harder (both available in one gallon "kits", so, I am
> thinking
>   > > two, one gallon kits).  Suggestions as to the fast or med hardener.
> The
>   > info
>   > > says the Medium is 30 minutes if I am reading it correctly....that
> sounds
>   > > pretty fast to me? Once again, Thanks.
>   > >
>   > > All the best,
>   > >
>   > > Chris
>   > >
>   > >
>   > > Christopher Barber
>   > > Attorney and Counselor at Law
>   > >
>   > > "Serving the needs of Senior Texans"
>   > >
>   > > Barber Law Firm
>   > > 11930 S Sam Houston Pkwy E
>   > > Suite 103
>   > > Houston, Texas 77089-4755
>   > > 281-464-LAWS (5297)
>   > >
>   > >
>   > > CBarber@TexasAttorney.net
>   > > www.TexasAttorney.net <http://www.TexasAttorney.net>
>   > >
>   > > Texas <http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001>
>   > >
>   > >
>   > > -----Original Message-----
>   > > From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
>   > > Behalf Of richard@riley.net
>   > > Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 9:39 PM
>   > > To: reflector@tvbf.org
>   > > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Jeffco and strakes
>   > >
>   > >
>   > > At 09:34 PM 4/9/04 -0500, you wrote:
>   > > >If I have a good weekend and get my canard mounted I should be
> starting
>   > my
>   > > >strakes in the near future.  I am building a standard wing SE and
was
>   > > >wondering about how much Jeffco I should need to coat the fuel
area?
>   > > >
>   > > >AS&S has it in 8lb and 40lb amounts (I will see if I can get it
from
>   > Velo).
>   > > >I assume I won't need the 40lb, but how many 8lb would y'all
suggest
>   > > >(Hopefully only one <g>) TIA.
>   > >
>   > > I'd actually suggest 2.  One will probably do it, but it's WAY
easier
> to
>   > > pay to ship the second one back than to stop in the middle of the
job
> and
>   > > wait for another delivery.
>   > >
>   > > _______________________________________________
>   > > To change your email address, visit
>   > > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>   > >
>   > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>   > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>   > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>   > > Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>   > >
>   > >
>   > >
>   > > _______________________________________________
>   > > To change your email address, visit
>   > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>   > >
>   > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>   > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>   > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>   > > Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>   > >
>   >
>   >
>   > _______________________________________________
>   > To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>   >
>   > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>   > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>   > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>   > Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html