REFLECTOR:Jeffco and strakes
Jim Agnew
reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 05:25:43 -0700 (PDT)
As one of the early users of Jefco I found that applying it
with a squeegee and just spreading one thick coat
eliminated almost all air bubbles. Poor the Jefco in and
spread.
Jim
--- Ronnie Brown <romott@adelphia.net> wrote:
> I bought the 3 gallon kit from AS&S before Velocity
> stocked it and found I
> had way too much.
>
> I think the best way to install this stuff is to put one
> good heavy coat and
> then stay with it, puncturing the air bubbles that pop up
> as the Jeffco
> heats up.
>
> I put the one good heavy coat on and it all looked great.
> But after it
> cured I saw many pin holes. So I sanded and put another
> coat on. Guess
> what, the pin holes came up again, prompting the "stay
> with it while it
> cures and fill the pin holes with Jeffco" until it is
> cured.
>
> I had no fuel tank leaks.
>
> Then I painted the inside of the cowl with the remaining
> Jeffco. It makes a
> good sealer that helps keep the engine oil stains from
> showing through the
> paint on the lower cowls.
>
> Still had a bunch left. I think you can probably get
> away with one gallon,
> but to be sure you don't run out, get two.
>
> Ronnie
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "CBarber" <CBarber@texasattorney.net>
> To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 10:34 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR:Jeffco and strakes
>
>
> | If I have a good weekend and get my canard mounted I
> should be starting my
> | strakes in the near future. I am building a standard
> wing SE and was
> | wondering about how much Jeffco I should need to coat
> the fuel area?
> |
> | AS&S has it in 8lb and 40lb amounts (I will see if I
> can get it from
> Velo).
> | I assume I won't need the 40lb, but how many 8lb would
> y'all suggest
> | (Hopefully only one <g>) TIA.
> |
> | All the best,
> |
> | Chris
> |
> |
> | Christopher Barber
> | Attorney and Counselor at Law
> |
> | "Serving the needs of Senior Texans"
> |
> | Barber Law Firm
> | 11930 S Sam Houston Pkwy E
> | Suite 103
> | Houston, Texas 77089-4755
> | 281-464-LAWS (5297)
> |
> |
> | CBarber@TexasAttorney.net
> | www.TexasAttorney.net <http://www.TexasAttorney.net>
> |
> | Texas <http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001>
> |
> |
> | -----Original Message-----
> | From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org
> [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> | Behalf Of Jim Agnew
> | Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 7:54 PM
> | To: reflector@tvbf.org
> | Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:It must be me....
> |
> |
> | Kurt,
> |
> | If you go to a marine supply you can get small SS
> thimbles
> | for wire that look like little pulleys. I drilled mine
> out
> | to 1/4" and used a bolt with two small washers to make
> the
> | thimbles turn. You crimp the wire on tight and presto,
> you
> | have a cable end that rotates as the rudder horn moves.
> |
> | Jim
> |
> | --- NMFlyer1@aol.com wrote:
> | > Sometimes I wonder when I get to see the video of my
> | > luck.
> | >
> | > While working on the rudder cables today, I ran
> across
> | > the following:
> | >
> | > The stainless wire I received with my kit is 14" too
> | > short to make the runs
> | > as per the plans.
> | > (I can always get more... but it is frustrating)
> | >
> | > My plans say to hook the cable to the rudder horn
> with
> | > the cable thimble. It
> | > doesn't fit through the hole without prying it apart,
> and
> | > it won't fit to the
> | > edge of the horn without grinding some of the horn
> away.
> | >
> | >
> | > The new plans say to install the thimble on an AN-3
> | > bolt, washers, etc....
> | > but the hole in my rudder horn is an AN-4 hole.
> Obviously
> | > the fit is extremely
> | > sloppy. The AN-4 bolt is too big for the thimble.
> | > etc.... etc. Now I had
> | > planned on using forked compression fittings on the
> | > rudder horn end (like
> | > sailboat rigging), but they are too long for the
> rudder
> | > horn pocket.
> | >
> | > I have a couple ideas on how to fix this defect, but
> | > thought I'd ask for
> | > input.
> | >
> | > Thanks, and laugh loud... I need to hear it :)
> | >
> | > Kurt Winker
> | >
> |
> |
> | =====
> | James F. Agnew
> | Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
> | Tampa, FL
> | Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying
> | _______________________________________________
> | To change your email address, visit
> | http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> |
> | Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> | user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> | Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> | Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> |
> |
> |
> | _______________________________________________
> | To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> |
> | Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> | user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> | Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> | Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
=====
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying