REFLECTOR:SLA Batteries
John Dibble
reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:01:48 -0500
Thanks, Steve,
I agree that a lawn tractor battery will work great. In fact I have one that I paid
$20 for that I have been considering using. I am considering using the SLA to avoid
the corrosion on my aluminum bracket that holds the battery in place. Another feature
I like is that the SLA is supposed to maintain its capacity longer. With a new
battery you know exactly how many AHs (flying time) you have in the event the
alternator fails, but over time the battery capacity decreases, so you never really
know how far you can go without the alternator. Of course you can't be sure with an
SLA either, but I believe it will be better than a regular battery. Still I could
replace the cheap battery every two years for less. What to do.....
John
steve korney wrote:
> Sears has Lawn Tractor Batteries that work great. I have one in mine and it
> has lasted for over four years..MY engine is an IO-360 with 10.5 to 1
> compression and a Skytec starter with long battery leads...I don't remember
> the number, but it's the top of the line Gold Battery...About 45 dollars..
>
> Best... Steve