REFLECTOR:Follow up on my bad landing

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:19:21 -0500


--------------805F3DB3016D46272FF06382
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit



Donald Royer wrote:
The following is more speculative. I may have uncovered at least one
cause of the down pressure switch hang up. We were having one of our
down slope wind situations where the air temperature can jump twenty to
thirty degrees in an hour or so, and the plane in the hangar was
probably at least 30-35 degrees cooler than it was in flight. With that
in mind, I tried a little experiment this morning. I went out to the
hangar when the temperature was about 35 degrees. With the plane up on
jacks, I retracted the gear and left it up while I warmed the hangar as
fast as I could with a propane heater making sure that the warm air was
circulated through the nose compartment and the cabin of the  plane.
When the temperature in the hangar reached 80 degrees, I tried to lower
the gear "BINGO" it was hung up. This is only one data point and it may
not be reproducible, but it worked once for me.

Interesting test.  Did you try the emergency gear down switch (bypassing
the down pressure switch) and did it work?

John

--------------805F3DB3016D46272FF06382
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
&nbsp;
<p>Donald Royer wrote:
<br>The following is more speculative. I may have uncovered at least one
cause of the down pressure switch hang up. We were having one of our down
slope wind situations where the air temperature can jump twenty to thirty
degrees in an hour or so, and the plane in the hangar was probably at least
30-35 degrees cooler than it was in flight. With that in mind, I tried
a little experiment this morning. I went out to the hangar when the temperature
was about 35 degrees. With the plane up on jacks, I retracted the gear
and left it up while I warmed the hangar as fast as I could with a propane
heater making sure that the warm air was circulated through the nose compartment
and the cabin of the&nbsp; plane. When the temperature in the hangar reached
80 degrees, I tried to lower the gear "BINGO" it was hung up. This is only
one data point and it may not be reproducible, but it worked once for me.
<p><i>Interesting test.&nbsp; Did you try the emergency gear down switch
(bypassing the down pressure switch) and did it work?</i><i></i>
<p><i>John</i></html>

--------------805F3DB3016D46272FF06382--