REFLECTOR:Matco ~ Cleveland Stopping - was Gear Up

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:34:49 -0500


--------------22EFD6F368DDC15879959592
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Jim,
Excellent observation and suggestion.  I plan to give it a try.
John

Jim Sower wrote:

> <... I really have to hit the Matco brakes hard and hit the numbers
> ....>
>
> Just for the hell of it, idle your engine down to about 500 rpm.  I
> know it will run rough as a cob at that low an rpm, but you can do all
> your ground ops off idle a few hundred rpm.  See if doing this doesn't
> A) make it easier to plant it on the numbers;   B) make it easier to
> make that short turnoff
>
> Some time, when there's no significant traffic, shut the engine down
> right before flare, land the airplane, and just let it roll free - no
> brakes at all.  I'll bet you cannot MAKE it roll 3000'.  I know I
> could just barely make a turnoff about 2300' down the runway when I
> had a dead stick landing once.  Cleared the foul line, but just
> barely.
>
> A real eye opener.  Try it and report back .... Jim S.
>

--------------22EFD6F368DDC15879959592
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
Jim,
<br>Excellent observation and suggestion.&nbsp; I plan to give it a try.
<br>John
<p>Jim Sower wrote:
<blockquote TYPE=CITE>&lt;... I really have to hit the Matco brakes hard
and hit the numbers ....>
<p>Just for the hell of it, idle your engine down to about 500 rpm.&nbsp;
I know it will run rough as a cob at that low an rpm, but you can do all
your ground ops off idle a few hundred rpm.&nbsp; See if doing this doesn't
A) make it easier to plant it on the numbers;&nbsp;&nbsp; B) make it easier
to make that short turnoff
<p>Some time, when there's no significant traffic, shut the engine down
right before flare, land the airplane, and just let it roll free - no brakes
at all.&nbsp; I'll bet you <b>cannot MAKE it roll 3000'</b>.&nbsp; I know
I could just barely make a turnoff about 2300' down the runway when I had
a dead stick landing once.&nbsp; Cleared the foul line, but just barely.
<p>A real eye opener.&nbsp; Try it and report back .... Jim S.
<br>&nbsp;</blockquote>
</html>

--------------22EFD6F368DDC15879959592--