REFLECTOR:DOOR SHOCKS

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:37:16 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C41BD3.E4EE7A20
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Tom,=20

I had the same problem except I bought my longer gas springs before they =
were available from Velocity.  Somebody on the Reflector had suggested a =
new/better way of installing the door springs.  The first ones I =
purchased were from AutoZone and they were marginal. The doors just =
barely stayed up, and during taxi they wouldn't hold the door up.   So I =
measured the spring force (37 lbs) using bathroom scales.  Just push the =
spring into the scales until they start to move, and note the weight.

Then I went to McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com and found a spring that =
was the same length and rated at 50 pounds.  See page 1061at their =
on-line catalog.  You'll have to buy the ends on page 1065. Shipping was =
quick. These worked perfectly, I can now taxi with the doors open and =
not worry about them slamming shut and scaring the S _ _ T out of me.  =
And after 7 months they are holding their pressure just fine.

Ronnie Brown
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tom Martino=20
  To: reflector@www.tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 11:49 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:DOOR SHOCKS


  I can't be the only one who experienced this:  My doors won't stay up =
with the Factory supplied door shocks.  I installed them exactly as =
instructed and the shocks are just "weak" enough to let the drop.  My =
doors have the strake extensions on them (with extra elbow room inside). =
 That could've added weight.  Do  I simply order the same kind - with a =
higher poundage?

  =20

  Does anyone know the capacity of the ones supplied by the factory? =20

  =20

  =20

  =20

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C41BD3.E4EE7A20
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:st1 =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3DWord.Document name=3DProgId>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR>
<META content=3D"Microsoft Word 10" name=3DOriginator><LINK=20
href=3D"cid:filelist.xml@01C41BBC.7262B690" =
rel=3DFile-List><o:SmartTagType=20
name=3D"PersonName"=20
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"></o:SmartTagT=
ype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
  <o:DoNotRelyOnCSS/>
 </o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <w:WordDocument>
  <w:SpellingState>Clean</w:SpellingState>
  <w:GrammarState>Clean</w:GrammarState>
  <w:DocumentKind>DocumentEmail</w:DocumentKind>
  <w:EnvelopeVis/>
  <w:Compatibility>
   <w:BreakWrappedTables/>
   <w:SnapToGridInCell/>
   <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
   <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
  </w:Compatibility>
  <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
 </w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>
<STYLE>st1\:* {
	BEHAVIOR: url(#default#ieooui)
}
</STYLE>
<![endif]-->
<STYLE>
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{mso-style-parent:"";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
	mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:Arial;
	mso-ascii-font-family:Arial;
	mso-hansi-font-family:Arial;
	mso-bidi-font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
span.SpellE
	{mso-style-name:"";
	mso-spl-e:yes;}
span.GramE
	{mso-style-name:"";
	mso-gram-e:yes;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
	mso-header-margin:.5in;
	mso-footer-margin:.5in;
	mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
 /* Style Definitions */=20
 table.MsoNormalTable
	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
	mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
	mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-style-parent:"";
	mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
	mso-para-margin:0in;
	mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
</style>
<![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US style=3D"tab-interval: .5in" vLink=3Dpurple =
link=3Dblue=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Tom, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I had the same problem except I bought my longer gas =
springs=20
before they were available from Velocity.&nbsp; Somebody on the =
Reflector had=20
suggested a new/better way of installing the door springs.&nbsp; The =
first ones=20
I purchased were from AutoZone and they were marginal.&nbsp;The doors =
just=20
barely stayed up, and during taxi they wouldn't hold the door up.&nbsp; =
&nbsp;So=20
I measured the spring force (37 lbs) using bathroom scales.&nbsp; Just =
push the=20
spring into the scales until they start to move, and note the=20
weight.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Then I went to McMaster Carr&nbsp;<A=20
href=3D"http://www.mcmaster.com">www.mcmaster.com</A> and found a spring =
that was=20
the same length and rated at 50 pounds.&nbsp; See page 1061at their =
on-line=20
catalog.&nbsp; You'll have to buy the ends on page 1065.&nbsp;Shipping =
was=20
quick.&nbsp;These worked perfectly, I can now taxi with the doors open =
and not=20
worry about them slamming shut and scaring the S _ _ T out of me.&nbsp; =
And=20
after 7 months they are holding their pressure just fine.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie Brown</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dtmartino@troubleshooter.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:tmartino@troubleshooter.com">Tom Martino</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@www.tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@www.tvbf.org">reflector@www.tvbf.org</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, April 06, 2004 =
11:49=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:DOOR =
SHOCKS</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I can=92t be the only =
one who=20
  experienced this:<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>My =
doors won=92t=20
  stay up with the Factory supplied door shocks. <SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>I installed them exactly as =
instructed=20
  and the shocks are just =93weak=94 enough to let the drop.<SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>My doors have the strake =
extensions on=20
  them (with extra elbow room inside).<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: =
yes">&nbsp;=20
  </SPAN>That could=92ve added weight.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: =
yes">&nbsp;=20
  </SPAN><SPAN class=3DGramE>Do <SPAN=20
  style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>I</SPAN> simply order the=20
  </SPAN></FONT><st1:PersonName><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial">sam</SPAN></FONT></st1:PersonName><FONT=20
  face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial">e kind =96=20
  with a higher poundage?<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Does anyone know the =
capacity of=20
  the ones supplied by the factory?<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: =
yes">&nbsp;=20
  </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-no-proof: =
yes">&nbsp;</SPAN><o:p></o:p></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: =
12pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></FONT></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML=
>

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C41BD3.E4EE7A20--