REFLECTOR:Brake selection.

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:01:33 -0500


<... I have not landed half way down the runway and had to jump on the brakes yet ...>

Neither have I.  I have discovered that my airplane WILL NOT FLOAT unless THE MOTOR IS
RUNNING.  If mine even hints that it might like to float maybe, I turn of the motor
and shortly thereafter effortlessly turn off at the first throat.
But you've all heard this before .... Jim S.

Ronnie Brown wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I am in the "me-too-camp".  My Matcos have worked well on my 173 Elite RG.
> Even during the initial taxi tests, I never even felt a warm gear leg.  It
> is important to burnish the pads and disks before hard stops are made.  Then
> more stopping power is available with out generating as much heat.
>
> I have not experienced any fading either.  But, I have not landed half way
> down the runway and had to jump on the brakes yet.  As John suggests, make
> sure you keep final speeds on the mark, and touch down in the first 1/3 of
> the runway and all works well.  I will not try to land on anything less than
> 3000', longer if I'm loaded and it is hot.
>
> Ronnie
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Greg Poole" <gpoole@zeta.org.au>
> To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 7:48 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR:Brake selection.
>
> | I'm "yo yo-ing" listening to the different accounts of brake experience
> and
> | trying to relate them to aircraft weight/model. At one point I had decided
> | (on the basis of keeping heat away from the gear leg, pad longevity and on
> | performance) that Clevelands were really the ONLY way to go, that for a
> few
> | bucks difference in price somebody had made a big mistake in specifying
> them
> | for the Velocity and that I would need to get rid of the Matco's that came
> | in my Std RG kit ....now Scott and several others have restored hope that
> | the Matco's will be adequate for the smaller fuselage.
> |
> | Have I got the general consensus right? ...and just how successful has
> | modifications been to keep heat from the Matco's from affecting the main
> | gear legs?
> |
> | Greg in Sydney.
> |
> | ----- Original Message -----
> | From: "Scott Derrick" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
> | To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> | Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 12:09 AM
> | Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Gear Up
> |
> |
> | > John,
> | >
> | > You don't want cracked disk pads!   Usually hey are the result of
> improper
> | > installation, squeezing the rivets down so hard the pad cracked.   I had
> a
> | > landing accident in one of the factory demo planes because of cracked
> | pads.
> | > The left brake failed on rollout.
> | >
> | > I also have a Std RG, and have had no problems and plenty of braking
> power
> | > with the Matco's.   I just replaced my Pads after 200 hours on them.
> | >
> | > Scott
> | >
> | > At 12:14 PM 4/4/2004, you wrote:
> | > >Chuck,
> | > >Sounds like there is a big difference between the XL and STD when it
> | comes
> | > >to braking
> | > >needs and pad life.  When solo, my SRG is light in front and my canard
> | > >mushes during
> | > >stall, so I don't worry about the nose coming down hard and I approach
> | > >stall speeds at
> | > >landing.  My SRG has 300 hours, 100 by me.  Doesn't seem like the pads
> | are
> | > >wearing
> | > >much.  I might be interested in your pads, assuming they are the same
> as
> | > >mine.  Of
> | > >what significance are the cracks.
> | > >John
> | > >
> | > >Chuck Jensen wrote:
> | > >
> | > > > John,
> | > > > A developed touch and a runway a mile and half long does reduce the
> | braking
> | > > > needs markedly.  The other advantage of Clevelands, besides not
> having
> | to
> | > > > change pads with every oil change, is if you go into a really short
> | strip,
> | > > > (or we misjudge wind or speed on a middling length one) its
> comforting
> | to
> | > > > know that if you need to stand on the brakes, there'll be something
> | there.
> | > > >
> | > > > I suspect the brakes are much less an issue on the smaller Vs with
> | smaller
> | > > > engines, which enjoy both somewhat slower touchdowns and less mass
> to
> | stop.
> | > > > At any rate, I have for sale several near-new Matco pads that are
> | perfect,
> | > > > except for the cracks.
> | > > >
> | > > > Chuck
> | > > >
> | > >
> | > >
> | > >_______________________________________________
> | > >To change your email address, visit
> | > >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> | > >
> | > >Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> | > >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> | > >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> | > >Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> | >
> | >
> | > "Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> | > - Benjamin Franklin
> | >
> | > _______________________________________________
> | > To change your email address, visit
> | http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> | >
> | > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> | > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> | > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> | > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> |
> |
> | _______________________________________________
> | To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> |
> | Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> | user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> | Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> | Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

--
Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5
Long-EZ N83RT, Velocity N4095T