REFLECTOR:MT Prop went missing

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:52:14 -0500


Carl,


> I think the MT prop in question was on an XL with an IO-540 6 banger. I
> don't think harmonics was the problem. The MT hub on the 360 and the 540
> are different.

This has been a hard one to solve. There are no obvious dents on the leading
edge or scratches in the paint as might be expected if the prop hit something.
The tear in the wood is along a specific arc, yet the tear is not clean enough
to have been made by a knife-like object. 

The first 1" or so of the tear appears to have been cut cleaner than the rest.
This suggests there may have been an initial wound to that depth, and the prop
tore/fatigued from there. 

BUT, given the resonance issue and the incredibly straight tear pattern, I
sure would love to browse MT's files and photos of other lost prop tips. 

Dave Black