REFLECTOR:Gear Up

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:35:13 -0600


Chuck,
That is interesting.  Now that I've learned how to fly my V, I think the Matcos are
adequate (for my SRG anyway).  I guess it's all about surviving the first few dozen
hours.
John

Chuck Jensen wrote:

> John,
>
> Good thinkin' but that's not the way it seems to work.  My Matcos used to
> get too-hot-to-handle after a couple summer landings and taxing in a
> weather-vaning crosswind.  After switching to the Clevelands (which
> incidentally, have a good thermal isolation board to protect the gear leg)
> and their greater braking authority, the calipers hardly get warm to the
> touch and I can't feel any heat being transmitted to the gear leg.
>
> I never understood why Matcos got so hot.  The heat in supposed to be caused
> by absorption of energy during braking.  I always got lots of heat but not
> much braking.
>
> Chuck
> XLRG with heavy 300
>