REFLECTOR:Airflow around fixed gear

steve reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 09:17:25 +0800


Hi Brian,

Sunday, September 28, 2003, 5:21:00 AM, you wrote:

BM> I'm about to weld up the last leg of the exhaust pipe from the turbo to the
BM> cowl exit.  I placed the exit so that it would be behind where the right
BM> main gear goes through the fuselage.  The gear is shaped aerodynamically
BM> such that it appears that the airflow is converging towards the centerline
BM> of the fuselage near this point.

BM> I have the opportunity to rotate the exhaust where it exits the cowl.  I'm
BM> not so worried about aiming the exhaust as I am making a streamlined exit.
BM> Has anyone done any oil drop testing in this area?  If anyone has a chance,
BM> fixed gear or retract, I would be interested in knowing the direction of
BM> airflow in this area.

BM>  Brian Michalk  <http://www.michalk.com>
BM> Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done something.
BM> Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
BM> musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and mostly single


BM> _______________________________________________
BM> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

BM> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
BM> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
BM> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
BM> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

Brian,

I have a 173 rg and we took some video footage of wool tufts on wings and cowls
both at 90 kts and 160 kts. I will have a look through it to see if there is
anything that may be of interest to you. ...Steve

-- 
Best regards,
 steve                            mailto:steve_beilby@yahoo.com.au