REFLECTOR:Cooling a canard
Chuck Jensen
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:00:41 -0400
I'd never really thought about the solubility of water in
hydrocarbons/petroleum type products but it certainly makes sense. I
recollect an earlier posting about hydraulic fluid absorbing moisture so it
would stand to reason engine oil would do the same. Given the aeration the
oil goes through, the moisture (condensate) would have ample opportunity to
evaporate off. Whatever the dynamics, it seems moisture is not a problem at
any credible engine oil temps.
Chuck
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
John Dibble
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 8:51 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Cooling a canard
Yes. Also, the solubility increases with increasing temperature, but I
don't know how
much. Also the solubility vaires greatly with the type of hydrocarbon.
Some aromatic
hydrocarbons (100LL in the South) have solubilities of 500 ppm. However, I
think 10
ppm applies to engine oils.
John
Chuck Jensen wrote:
> John,
>
> The 10 ppm solubility is about right but I thought that was oil in water.
> Is the solubility for water in oil the same?
>
> Chuck
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of
> John Dibble
> Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 7:40 PM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Cooling a canard
>
> Chuck Jensen wrote:
>
> > John, your right about that. My engine operates at a temp way lower
than
> > 190F and I get thirsty several times a day.
> >
> > There is one other dynamic at play here, related to moisture
evaporation,
> > that I'm unsure of the impact (if any). Clearly, water has a higher
vapor
> > pressure than oil, so it'll evaporate off more readily. However, in the
> > engine, any condensation that collects in the crankcase is going to be
> > covered by a thick blanket of oil which may reduce/prevent evaporation.
>
> Yes, the blanket will slow evaporation. However water does have a small
> solubility
> (~10 ppm) in oil so it can slowly migrate through the oil and evaporate.
>
> John
>
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html