REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND COOLING
Scott
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:14:33 -0600
I think if your looking for RAM air for carb intake a ram scoop in located in a positive pressure area in a will provide the most benefit and the least trouble.
Scott
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:29:36 -0600, Tom Martino wrote:
> So what is the conclusion? Top (off NACAs) or bottom (with
> scoop)???
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: RJohn15183@aol.com [mailto:RJohn15183@aol.com] Sent: Tuesday,
> September 16, 2003 10:17 AM To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND COOLING
>
>
> In a message dated 9/16/2003 11:04:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> scott@tnstaafl.net writes:
>
>
>> Both planes I have flown with a ram scoop, Mooney and Velocity,
>> showed about 3/4" of MP increase at apx 150 knots.
>>
>
> Yes, I thought Jim had made a very good point a few e-mails back
> that where I was originally drawing intake air from before I built
> the scoop must have been in negative pressure air.
>
>
> Since everyone seems to agree that 3/4 of an inch is about right
> for a ram air scoop that must mean I was loosing about 1.25 inches
> by drawing from where I was, under the engine with no scoop.
>
>
> So lesson learned: Think about where you put that engine intake! It
> can cost you significant power.
>
>
> DM Rob
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html