REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND COOLING

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:11:19 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C37C3A.DFB2F2E0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Re: REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND COOLINGThe folks at Airflow =
Performance are super.  I purchased my aux fuel pump and fuel filter =
from them.  They say they provide the injectors and spider to Don George =
for his engines.

Email them and they will answer your questions (avoiding long distance =
charges).

Ronnie


  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: KeithHallsten=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 9:29 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND COOLING


  Jack,

  I looked at the Airflow Performance site you referenced and had a hard =
time finding any real information, or even a photo of the part you =
mentioned.  I see that they have a regular and "Long" version of their =
"FM-200 Alternate Air Duct Assembly".  Is one of those what you are =
using?  Do you have any photos or specs?  What type of throttle body is =
the assembly connected to?  What did that little wonder cost?  I'd like =
to find out whether I'm really interested before I get into long =
long-distance phone calls!

  Keith Hallsten, XL, IO-540-D4A5 on order


    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Jack Sheehan=20
    To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
    Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 9:48 AM
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND COOLING


    Tony,
    I had the same concerns about using the cooling air from the NACA as =
well as a concern about operating on the ground with unfiltered air.
    I placed an intake air scoop under the aircraft. it is attached to =
the lower cowling. If I was doing it again I would design it so that it =
was part of the fuselage and remain in place when cowling is removed.
    I used an alternate air assembly from airflow performance =
http://www.airflowperformance.com/airframe.htm
    This unit comes with a K&N air filter attached to the alternate flow =
assembly. I have a push -pull cable which operates the butterfly in the =
assembly. The selection is for either filtered air which is thru the =
filter inside the cowling under the engine or Ram air which comes from =
the air scoop. The filter is a cone type like those used on off-road or =
other injected engines. so it does not have a box or anything it simply =
attaches to the assembly. The difference between filtered air and Ram =
Air in flight is about         1" MP  at about 10,000 feet.  This =
solution solved both my concerns and additionally provides heated air =
from the engine compartment in the event you find yourself in some =
frozen precip and you choose not to use the Ram Air to prevent ice =
entering the servo. Other folks have manufactured similar types of =
scoops and filter arrangements but I liked the idea of having a nice =
machined part attached to the engine with no worries about filters being =
blocked or other parts being ingested into the engine. The assembly =
costs a few bucks but I thought it was a good solution
    Jack
    N55XL

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C37C3A.DFB2F2E0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:MORE ON COMBUSTION AIR AND =
COOLING</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>BLOCKQUOTE {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
DL {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
UL {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
OL {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
LI {
	MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The folks at Airflow Performance are super.&nbsp; I =
purchased=20
my aux fuel pump and fuel filter from them.&nbsp; They say they provide =
the=20
injectors and spider to Don George for his engines.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Email them and they will answer your questions =
(avoiding long=20
distance charges).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DKeithHallsten@quiknet.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:KeithHallsten@quiknet.com">KeithHallsten</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, September 15, =
2003 9:29=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:MORE ON =
COMBUSTION=20
  AIR AND COOLING</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jack,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I looked at the Airflow Performance =
site you=20
  referenced and had a hard time finding any real information, or even a =
photo=20
  of the part you mentioned.&nbsp; I see that they have a regular and =
"Long"=20
  version of their "FM-200 Alternate Air Duct Assembly".&nbsp; Is one of =
those=20
  what you are using?&nbsp; Do you have any photos or specs?&nbsp; What =
type of=20
  throttle body is the assembly connected to?&nbsp; What did that little =
wonder=20
  cost?&nbsp; I'd like to find out whether I'm really interested before =
I get=20
  into long long-distance phone calls!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith Hallsten, XL, IO-540-D4A5 on=20
  order</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV=20
    style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
    <A title=3Dj.f.sheehan@issmail.larc.nasa.gov=20
    href=3D"mailto:j.f.sheehan@issmail.larc.nasa.gov">Jack Sheehan</A> =
</DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
    href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, September 15, =
2003 9:48=20
    AM</DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:MORE =
ON=20
    COMBUSTION AIR AND COOLING</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D-1>Tony,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D-1>I had the same concerns about =
using the=20
    cooling air from the NACA as well as a concern about operating on =
the ground=20
    with unfiltered air.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D-1>I placed an intake air scoop under =
the=20
    aircraft. it is attached to the lower cowling. If I was doing it =
again I=20
    would design it so that it was part of the fuselage and remain in =
place when=20
    cowling is removed.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D-1>I used an alternate air assembly =
from airflow=20
    performance =
http://www.airflowperformance.com/airframe.htm</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D-1>This unit comes with a K&amp;N air =
filter=20
    attached to the alternate flow assembly. I have a push -pull cable =
which=20
    operates the butterfly in the assembly. The selection is for either =
filtered=20
    air which is thru the filter inside the cowling under the engine or =
Ram air=20
    which comes from the air scoop. The filter is a cone type like those =
used on=20
    off-road or other injected engines. so it does not have a box or =
anything it=20
    simply attaches to the assembly. The difference between filtered air =
and Ram=20
    Air in flight is =
about&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1"=20
    MP&nbsp; at about 10,000 feet.&nbsp; This solution solved both my =
concerns=20
    and additionally provides heated air from the engine compartment in =
the=20
    event you find yourself in some frozen precip and you choose not to =
use the=20
    Ram Air to prevent ice entering the servo. Other folks have =
manufactured=20
    similar types of scoops and filter arrangements but I liked the idea =
of=20
    having a nice machined part attached to the engine with no worries =
about=20
    filters being blocked or other parts being ingested into the engine. =
The=20
    assembly costs a few bucks but I thought it was a good =
solution</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D-1>Jack</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D-1>N55XL</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C37C3A.DFB2F2E0--