REFLECTOR:INTAKE COMBUSTION AIR

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:51:57 -0400


--------------759E71479435A16504FA55D1
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=koi8-r
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I have just the one oil cooler up front and no vent for the ducting, SRG
with Franklin engine.  You can get by this way, but there are some
limitiations.  For a cold startup, there is plenty of time to taxi and
do the run-up.  However in summer if the engine is warm (stopped to get
fuel),  the oil temp will exceed 110 C (230 F) before takeoff.  I try to
do the run-up while taxiing to minimize the overheating.  Climbout is
limited to 500 ft/min or the oil temp will also exceed 110 C.  After
landing the oil temp also creeps up so you need to get parked ASAP.

John Dibble

Tom Martino wrote:

> On most of the Vs I’ve seen ... all of the air to the engine comes in
> from above through the naca vents.The air is then directed over the
> cooling fins of the cylinders.There are also 2 ducts that divert some
> of that air.One duct goes to oil cooler and the other duct provides
> combustible air for the engine.
>
> I have been wonderings if the engine would run more efficiently if I
> put a separate air intake scoop (low profile) on the lower cowl. This
> looks as if it would provide a more direct and cooler flow of air.And
> it wouldn’t divert any of the cooling air away from the cylinders.
>
> And while on the topic of cooling ... is it really necessary to have
> two oil coolers?Is the one up front good enough?
>
> I saw one Velocity that had only one (up front) then had tiny side
> vents along the fuselage which directed air into the ducting that
> carries the oil lines.
>
> So is there anyone using just one oil cooler up front and not the one
> ion the engine compartment? I would appreciate any insight into either
> of these topics.
>

--------------759E71479435A16504FA55D1
Content-Type: text/html; charset=koi8-r
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
<body link="#0000FF" vlink="#800080" lang="EN-US" style="tab-interval:.5in">
I have just the one oil cooler up front and no vent for the ducting, SRG
with Franklin engine.&nbsp; You can get by this way, but there are some
limitiations.&nbsp; For a cold startup, there is plenty of time to taxi
and do the run-up.&nbsp; However in summer if the engine is warm (stopped
to get fuel),&nbsp; the oil temp will exceed 110 C (230 F) before takeoff.&nbsp;
I try to do the run-up while taxiing to minimize the overheating.&nbsp;
Climbout is limited to 500 ft/min or the oil temp will also exceed 110
C.&nbsp; After landing the oil temp also creeps up so you need to get parked
ASAP.
<p>John Dibble
<p>Tom Martino wrote:
<blockquote TYPE=CITE><link rel=File-List href="cid:filelist.xml@01C37A29.C93271C0"><o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name="PersonName"/><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
  <o:DoNotRelyOnCSS/>
 </o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <w:WordDocument>
  <w:SpellingState>Clean</w:SpellingState>
  <w:DocumentKind>DocumentEmail</w:DocumentKind>
  <w:EnvelopeVis/>
  <w:Compatibility>
   <w:BreakWrappedTables/>
   <w:SnapToGridInCell/>
   <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
   <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
  </w:Compatibility>
  <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
 </w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>
<style>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
</style>
<![endif]--><style>
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{mso-style-parent:"";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
	mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:Arial;
	mso-ascii-font-family:Arial;
	mso-hansi-font-family:Arial;
	mso-bidi-font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
span.SpellE
	{mso-style-name:"";
	mso-spl-e:yes;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
	mso-header-margin:.5in;
	mso-footer-margin:.5in;
	mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
 /* Style Definitions */ 
 table.MsoNormalTable
	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
	mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
	mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-style-parent:"";
	mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
	mso-para-margin:0in;
	mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
</style>
<![endif]-->
<div class=Section1>
<div class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>On
most of the Vs I’ve seen ... all of the air to the engine comes in from
above through the naca vents.<span 
style='mso-spacerun:yes'></span>The
air is then directed over the cooling fins of the cylinders.<span style='mso-spacerun:yes'></span>There
are also 2 ducts that divert some of that air.<span style='mso-spacerun:yes'></span>One
duct goes to oil cooler and the other duct provides combustible air for
the engine.</font></font><o:p></o:p></span></div>


<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>I
have been wonderings if the engine would run more efficiently if I put
a separate air intake scoop (low profile) on the lower cowl.&nbsp;<span style='mso-spacerun:yes'></span>This
looks as if it would provide a more direct and cooler flow of air.<span style='mso-spacerun:yes'></span>And
it wouldn’t divert any of the cooling air away from the cylinders.</font></font><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>And
while on the topic of cooling ... is it really necessary to have two oil
coolers?<span style='mso-spacerun:yes'></span>Is the one up front good
enough?</font></font><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>I
saw one&nbsp;</span><st1:PersonName><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Velocity</span></st1:PersonName><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>
that had only one (up front) then had tiny side vents along the fuselage
which directed air into the ducting that carries the oil lines.</font></font><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>So
is there anyone using just one oil cooler up front and not the one ion
the engine compartment?&nbsp;<span 
style='mso-spacerun:yes'></span>I would
appreciate any insight into either of these topics.</font></font><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'><o:p></o:p></span>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:
12.0pt;mso-no-proof:yes'></span><o:p></o:p>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style='font-size:
12.0pt'><o:p></o:p></span></div>
</blockquote>

</body>
</html>

--------------759E71479435A16504FA55D1--