REFLECTOR:Alternator Update

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:47:01 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00EF_01C37ABE.4AA666A0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

There is a difference between the Cessna alternator fan blades and the =
automotive Hitachi. The blades twist to the right on the Cessna and to =
the left on the Hitachi.  However, this does not reverse the air flow.  =
Both blades will cause air to be ejected outwardly, not inward.  The =
only difference is the air flow versus air pressure when axial flow =
blades are "aggressively" pitched versus turned the other way (I forget =
which is which). =20

I have a temperature sensor placed next to my alternator - to measure =
cowl exit temps.  This is running around 160 degrees and is not very =
warm as far as engine environments go.  I really don't think temps are a =
problem unless you have a closed cowl, lots of exhaust pipes in the =
cowl, and low air flows.  Vibration is a factor on aircraft engines, but =
looking at the Cessna alternator (has a motorcraft stamp on it) looks =
just like a car alternator except the three case bolts have their heads =
drilled for safety wire.  No other differences are apparent.

Ronnie

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Brian Michalk=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 10:47 AM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Alternator Update


  Could you send a picture of the cooling fan?

  I feel that a majority of the alternator failures are of the =
automotive type with internal regulator, and a fan designed to spin the =
"other" way.
    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On =
Behalf Of Ronnie Brown
    Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 9:30 AM
    To: reflector@tvbf.org
    Subject: REFLECTOR:Alternator Update


    I found and fixed my alternator problem.  A broken wire between the =
field slip ring and the field winding.  I added a U shaped piece of wire =
to reach beyond the broken end of the field wire and soldered it back =
together.  It worked fine for one hour yesterday.

    Here's what I found out while researching this problem:

    My alternator is made by Hitachi and used on 81-87 Mazda (probably =
not RX-7's) per NAPA parts manual and does not have an internal voltage =
regulator. I have a VR-600 solid state regulator mounted on the =
firewall. Don George says he obtained these from AirTec at =
1-800-366-4746.  They supply non- certified alternators  for the =
homebuilt crowd.

    Also, someone says the Velocity factory sells an internally =
regulated alternator for $200

    I also got an email from <Mahlon_Russell@teledyne.com>

    | Hi Ronnie,
    | I think the actual P/N of the alternator you may have is a  =
Mitsubishi
    | 186-0355 or 14700. It may help in your quest for brushes! If you =
need a
    | replacement we sell the  complete set up: belt, alt. mounts =
brackets and
    | hardware for $245.00. I agree expensive by automotive standards!
    | Good Luck,
    | Mahlon
    |

    Mahlon also sent the following:


    | Hi Ronnie,
    | It depends on where your engine came from or what application you =
are
    | trying to mimic.
    | Pipers used Mopar and Prestolite on O-320's
    | Cessna used Ford on O-320's
    | Beech used Ford and Prestolite  on O-320's
    | Can't remember what Bellanca and some of the others used but =
basically they
    | all used some version of Ford, Prestolite or Mopar. To further =
complicate
    | things the mounting brackets and ring gear support assemblies were
    | different for each of the installations. IE belt that fit a ford  =
alt.
    | pulley doesn't fit a MOPAR flywheel and same thing for the =
mounting
    | brackets. You really need to know what brackets and what flywheel =
you have
    | to make the correct determination of what's the right Alternator. =
If you
    | let me know what you have I will try to check it out for you On =
Monday when
    | I am back in the shop. If you are totally confused feel free to =
call me at
    | 1-800-624-6680 ext 305 and maybe I can better explain verbally.
    | Anyway I hope this helps,
    | Mahlon Russell
    |

    Time: 12:37:48 PM PST US
    From: "Jim and Bev Cone" <jimnbev@olypen.com>
    Subject: RV-List: Alternator

    --> RV-List message posted by: "Jim and Bev Cone" =
<jimnbev@olypen.com>

    The Pelican alternator sold by ACS is off of a Chevy Sprint
    Spectrum.  It is a small 65 amp alternator that is self regulating =
and has automatic
    overheat protection that resets when an overheated condition is =
resolved.
    I have one and it works well.

    Jim Cone

    Another post from kr shultz" <sfg0152002@yahoo.com
    Think it is a Suzuki Samurai 1995 to 2001



------=_NextPart_000_00EF_01C37ABE.4AA666A0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>There is a difference between the Cessna alternator =
fan blades=20
and the automotive Hitachi. The blades twist to the right on the Cessna =
and to=20
the left on the Hitachi.&nbsp; However, this does not reverse the air=20
flow.&nbsp; Both blades will cause air to be ejected outwardly, not=20
inward.&nbsp; The only difference is the air flow versus air pressure =
when axial=20
flow blades are "aggressively" pitched versus turned the other way (I =
forget=20
which is which).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have a temperature sensor placed next to my =
alternator - to=20
measure cowl exit temps.&nbsp; This is running around 160 degrees and is =
not=20
very warm as far as engine environments go.&nbsp; I really don't think =
temps are=20
a problem unless you have a closed cowl, lots of exhaust pipes in the =
cowl, and=20
low air flows.&nbsp; Vibration is a factor on aircraft engines, but =
looking at=20
the Cessna alternator (has a motorcraft stamp on it) looks just like a =
car=20
alternator except the three case bolts have the</FONT><FONT size=3D3>ir =
heads=20
drilled for safety wire.&nbsp; No other differences are =
apparent.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>----- Original Message ----- </FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dmichalk@awpi.com href=3D"mailto:michalk@awpi.com">Brian =
Michalk</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, September 14, =
2003 10:47=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: =
REFLECTOR:Alternator=20
  Update</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D200214614-14092003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2>Could you send a picture of the cooling =
fan?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D200214614-14092003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D200214614-14092003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>I=20
  feel that a majority of the alternator failures are of the automotive =
type=20
  with internal regulator, and a fan designed to spin the "other"=20
  way.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px =
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
    size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> <A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org">reflector-admin@tvbf.org</A>=20
    [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Ronnie=20
    Brown<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, September 14, 2003 9:30 =
AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
    reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Alternator=20
    Update<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><FONT size=3D2>
    <DIV>I found and fixed my alternator problem.&nbsp; A broken wire =
between=20
    the field slip ring and the field winding.&nbsp; I added a U shaped =
piece of=20
    wire to reach beyond the broken end of the field wire and soldered =
it back=20
    together.&nbsp; It worked fine for one hour yesterday.</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Here's what I found out while researching this problem:</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>My alternator is made by Hitachi and used on 81-87 Mazda =
(probably not=20
    RX-7's) per NAPA parts manual and does not have an internal voltage=20
    regulator. I have a VR-600 solid state regulator mounted on the =
firewall.=20
    Don George says he obtained these from AirTec at =
1-800-366-4746.&nbsp; They=20
    supply non- certified alternators&nbsp; for the homebuilt =
crowd.</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Also, someone says the Velocity factory sells an internally =
regulated=20
    alternator for $200</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>I also got an email from&nbsp;&lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:Mahlon_Russell@teledyne.com">Mahlon_Russell@teledyne.com</=
A>&gt;<BR></DIV>
    <DIV>| Hi Ronnie,<BR>| I think the actual P/N of the alternator you =
may have=20
    is a&nbsp; Mitsubishi<BR>| 186-0355 or 14700. It may help in your =
quest for=20
    brushes! If you need a<BR>| replacement we sell the&nbsp; complete =
set up:=20
    belt, alt. mounts brackets and<BR>| hardware for $245.00. I agree =
expensive=20
    by automotive standards!<BR>| Good Luck,<BR>| Mahlon<BR>|<BR></DIV>
    <DIV>Mahlon also sent the following:</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><BR>| Hi Ronnie,<BR>| It depends on where your engine came from =
or what=20
    application you are<BR>| trying to mimic.<BR>| Pipers used Mopar and =

    Prestolite on O-320's<BR>| Cessna used Ford on O-320's<BR>| Beech =
used Ford=20
    and Prestolite&nbsp; on O-320's<BR>| Can't remember what Bellanca =
and some=20
    of the others used but basically they<BR>| all used some version of =
Ford,=20
    Prestolite or Mopar. To further complicate<BR>| things the mounting =
brackets=20
    and ring gear support assemblies were<BR>| different for each of the =

    installations. IE belt that fit a ford&nbsp; alt.<BR>| pulley =
doesn't fit a=20
    MOPAR flywheel and same thing for the mounting<BR>| brackets. You =
really=20
    need to know what brackets and what flywheel you have<BR>| to make =
the=20
    correct determination of what's the right Alternator. If you<BR>| =
let me=20
    know what you have I will try to check it out for you On Monday =
when<BR>| I=20
    am back in the shop. If you are totally confused feel free to call =
me=20
    at<BR>| 1-800-624-6680 ext 305 and maybe I can better explain =
verbally.<BR>|=20
    Anyway I hope this helps,<BR>| Mahlon Russell<BR>|<BR><BR>Time: =
12:37:48 PM=20
    PST US<BR>From: "Jim and Bev Cone" &lt;<A=20
    href=3D"mailto:jimnbev@olypen.com"><FONT=20
    size=3D3>jimnbev@olypen.com</FONT></A><FONT =
size=3D3>&gt;<BR>Subject: RV-List:=20
    Alternator<BR><BR>--&gt; RV-List message posted by: "Jim and Bev =
Cone"=20
    &lt;</FONT><A href=3D"mailto:jimnbev@olypen.com"><FONT=20
    size=3D3>jimnbev@olypen.com</FONT></A><FONT size=3D3>&gt;<BR><BR>The =
Pelican=20
    alternator sold by ACS is off of a Chevy Sprint<BR>Spectrum.&nbsp; =
It is a=20
    small 65 amp alternator that is self regulating and has=20
    automatic<BR>overheat protection that resets when an overheated =
condition is=20
    resolved.<BR>I have one and it works well.<BR><BR>Jim =
Cone<BR></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D3>Another post from kr shultz" &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:sfg0152002@yahoo.com">sfg0152002@yahoo.com</A></FONT></DIV=
>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D3>Think it is a Suzuki Samurai 1995 to =
2001</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D3><FONT=20
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></FONT></BOD=
Y></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00EF_01C37ABE.4AA666A0--