REFLECTOR:IO-540 Engine Mount Type

brian g reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:18:59 -0700


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_018E_01C375EA.3CAB9260
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Keith, I sent this to you in 2/03. But here it is again....
.
The factory mount is for a type 1 mount ear. That has a hole about an 1 =
3/8". The type 2 mount has a 2" hole. This allows a better vibration =
dampening mount to be used( Barry # 94011-02) The problem with hanging a =
540 on a type 1 mount other than that is that the bolts are pointed at a =
shallower angle for a lighter motor and causes the mounts to sag sooner. =
I think it is better suited for the IO-360. There are many 540 engines =
hung on 1 mounts but it's not the best combination. The problem that I =
had with the factory 1 mount was that it was 1/2" too narrow and short =
to fit even if I put the 1 ears on.=20
 bg

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: KeithHallsten=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2003 9:44 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:IO-540 Engine Mount Type


  I've ordered an IO-540 from Ly-Con, and they have asked me whether the =
engine mount (from Velocity) is the "small hole" or "Big hole" type.  I =
recall some previous mention of the two types of dynafocal mounts that =
Lycoming has used, but I can't find that discussion in the archives this =
morning.

  By the way, Ly-Con has offered to lend me a "dummy" engine, built up =
from junk parts, for the purpose of setting up the engine installation.  =
That way the real engine doesn't get damaged or filled with fiberglass =
dust.  Steve Mehalek said he would set it up with junk mangetos, a junk =
fuel servo, and all the other junk accessories so it would be an =
accurate physical representation of the real engine, and would even =
deliver it for free (as long as I'm flexible as to the date and time).  =
This sounds like a significant "value-added" benefit of dealing with a =
large reputable engine builder!

  Keith 
------=_NextPart_000_018E_01C375EA.3CAB9260
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type=20
content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1"><DEFANGED_META=20
content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type"><DEFANGED_META=20
content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" name=3D"GENERATOR">
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><EM><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#008000 size=3D2>Keith, I sent this =
to you in=20
2/03. But here it is again....</FONT></EM></DIV>
<DIV><EM><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#008000 size=3D2>.</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><EM><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#008000 size=3D2>The factory mount =
is for a type 1=20
mount ear. That has a hole about an 1 3/8". The type 2 mount has a 2" =
hole. This=20
allows a better vibration dampening mount to be used( Barry # 94011-02) =
The=20
problem with hanging a 540 on a type 1 mount other than that is that the =
bolts=20
are pointed at a shallower angle for a lighter motor and causes the =
mounts to=20
sag sooner. I think it is better suited for the IO-360. There are many =
540=20
engines hung on 1 mounts but it's not the best combination. The problem =
that I=20
had with the factory 1 mount was that it was 1/2" too narrow and short =
to fit=20
even if I put the 1 ears on. </FONT></EM></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;bg</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></FONT></EM>----- Original Message ----- </DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #008000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DKeithHallsten@quiknet.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:KeithHallsten@quiknet.com">KeithHallsten</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, September 06, =
2003 9:44=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:IO-540 =
Engine Mount=20
  Type</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've ordered an IO-540 from Ly-Con, =
and they have=20
  asked me whether the engine mount (from Velocity) is the "small hole" =
or "Big=20
  hole" type.&nbsp; I recall some previous mention of the two types of =
dynafocal=20
  mounts that Lycoming has used, but I can't find that discussion in the =

  archives this morning.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>By the way,&nbsp;Ly-Con has offered =
to lend me a=20
  "dummy" engine, built up from junk parts, for the purpose of setting =
up the=20
  engine installation.&nbsp; That way the real engine doesn't get =
damaged or=20
  filled with fiberglass dust.&nbsp; Steve Mehalek said he would set it =
up with=20
  junk mangetos, a junk fuel servo, and all the other junk accessories =
so it=20
  would be an accurate physical representation of the real engine, and =
would=20
  even deliver it for free (as long as I'm flexible as to the date and=20
  time).&nbsp; This sounds like a significant "value-added" benefit of =
dealing=20
  with a large reputable engine builder!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Keith</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_018E_01C375EA.3CAB9260--