REFLECTOR:Low volt warning
Dennis Huntington
reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:08:22 +0000
Scott
I have the Vision system in my Velocity RG and also in my Glasair lll, and I
have had very good luck with it. As with most new installations, I had some
glitches on startup, but a simple call to Vision and they talked me thru my
problems. The velocity now has almost 200 hours on it without as much as a
hicup.
The Glasair has almost 400 hours and not one problem. The Velocity has the
low voltage light come on when retracting the gear also, but the voltage
drops to 12.8. I am going to replace the standard alternator from Velocity
with a B&C alternator like the Glasair. That should take care of that
problem.
I would suggest that you call Vision and explain your problems and chances
are they will steer you in the correct direction. At least that has been my
experience.
Best of luck.
Dennis
>From: Scott Derrick <scott@tnstaafl.net>
>Reply-To: reflector@tvbf.org
>To: <reflector@tvbf.org>, <canards@tnstaafl.net>
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Low volt warning
>Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:20:16 -0600
>
>I have the vision in my plane, I get a low voltage warning on take offs at
>night with everything on and then I hit the gear up switch, its a drag. The
>voltage is at 13.6 or 13.5 when it comes on, alternator is putting out
>30+amps. Soon as the gear is up it goes out.
>
>I had the low fuel in sump warning come on once, scared the crap out of me.
> I had about 10 gals in each wing at the time. Never seen it again.
>
>I get garbage displayed intermittently by the 1000 display.
>
>I called Vision to see if I could get a couple of my limit settings
>changed, of course you have to send the brain in to get this done(stupid
>design). But you only have two choices, either use the limits for your
>engine or another as set forth by Lycoming and Vision, or pay big bucks for
>a custom set of numbers.
>
>I like the layout of the Vision system but can't say I'd put it in a new
>plane. Its too restrictive in setting up the warning parameters, lousy
>wiring setup with all those individual connectors(50+), very difficult to
>impossible to see if bright out side(like flying into the sun), unexplained
>behavior(warnings, garbage display), very expensive sensors(2 to 3 times
>A.S.).
>
>Scott
>
>
>On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:48:05 -0500, Rene Dugas wrote:
> > Vision Microsystem. Low volt warning for 2 to 3 seconds on most
> > flights only once each flight usually about 30 to 60 minutes into
> > the flight. Always recovers and never has occurred twice even in
> > three hour flights. Alternator belt snug and wires all tight.
> >
> >
> > Low fuel pressure also does it occasionally but Lycoming and Visio
> > say that is the flucuations in the mechanical fuel pump picked up
> > by the vision system and is of no concern except when it warns one
> > while flying a passenger such as a wife. Between the rare low fuel
> > light flickering, the low fuel warning for never more that 2
> > seconds and now the low volt warning once per flight( last one at
> > night) I have decided to ask if others have experienced similar
> > fleeting challenges. By the way my headphones work fine.
> >
> >
> > You can see my plane in Sport Aviation this month. Thanks for all
> > the help recommendations and laughs.
> >
> >
> > Rene Dugas
> >
> >
> > N129RD 140 hrs.
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_________________________________________________________________
Instant message with integrated webcam using MSN Messenger 6.0. Try it now
FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com