REFLECTOR:Battery

John R reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 08:01:46 -0600


--------------050806090804040001030904
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I just talked to my Interstate battery dealer recently, and he said that 
although Interstate (actual mfg is Johnson Controls?) supplied the 
DieHard batteries for Sears for many years, several years ago there was 
a contract dispute, and Sears went to Exide instead... after the failure 
rates went way up apparently, they returned to Interstate as the 
supplier about 2 years ago... perhaps you might want to check with them? 
BTW, they also carry the Optima, which is an SLA... they now have one a 
"little" smaller (only 32#) with about the same CCA (650@0F, 870@32) as 
their standard big one (37#, 750CCA@0, 980@32) but it is an expensive 
line ($95 for the smaller one, $135 for the larger). But, it is a 
starved-electrolyte SLA (I was told they are used by the military, who 
even mounts it upside-down in some applications!), and also has *very* 
low resistance (I've measured it), might be just right - but it's a 
"Group 34" which is about an inch longer (9.4L x 6.8W x 7.6D) than your 
group 26. Not cheap though.

-John R.

Dave Nelson wrote:

> Good question - I should have been more explicit...
>  
> The original battery I used was a Die Hard "Gold", group 26, PN 
> 36080.  It lasted about 4 years, and was actually still going strong 
> when I decided to replace it at last year's annual due to it's age.  I 
> figured $30-40 bucks as opposed to a dead battery somewhere on the 
> road was a good trade.  Unfortunately, when I went to the local Sears, 
> I learned that the "Gold" version of this battery was no longer 
> available.  Worse, group 26 batteries were getting harder to find 
> because they hadn't been designed into any cars for quite awhile.  So, 
> I went with the normal Die Hard, which has signficantly less CCA (Cold 
> Cranking Amps - the amount of current the battery can develop at 0 
> degrees farenheit while maintaining at least 7.2 Volts).  It worked, 
> well, OK, during this spring, summer, and fall, but recently has failed. 
>  
> Now, it's under warranty, and I can get quite a bit of value out of it 
> by mearly replacing it.  And that's the easiest thing to do.  However, 
> given that it has less current capacity than the "Gold" battery I used 
> to have, it turns over my IO-360 slower than the "Gold" did, and I 
> don't like that - I've always been worried about having the thing die 
> on me since I put it in.  So... I decided to check for options. 
>  
> Anyway, that's why I'm interested in options.  I may well stick with a 
> Group 26 battery...  but, if there's a better option out there, I 
> might go for it.  Thanks!
>  
> Dave
>  
>
>     ----- Original Message -----
>     From: Ronnie Brown <mailto:romott@adelphia.net>
>     To: reflector@tvbf.org <mailto:reflector@tvbf.org>
>     Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 4:48 PM
>     Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Battery
>
>     Sounds like your battery choice has been good.  Why would you want
>     to change?
>      
>     Ronnie
>
>         ----- Original Message -----
>         From: Dave Nelson <mailto:davenali@charter.net>
>         To: reflector@tvbf.org <mailto:reflector@tvbf.org>
>         Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 5:02 PM
>         Subject: REFLECTOR:Battery
>
>         I've been running a Sears Die Hard group 26 battery in my
>         IO-360 std-rg for many years.  However, it's time for a fresh
>         battery and I'm looking for other options. 
>          
>         What are you guys using?  How happy are you?
>          
>         Thanks!
>          
>         Dave
>          
>


--------------050806090804040001030904
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<body>
I just talked to my Interstate battery dealer recently, and he said that
although Interstate (actual mfg is Johnson Controls?) supplied the DieHard
batteries for Sears for many years, several years ago there was a contract
dispute, and Sears went to Exide instead... after the failure rates went
way up apparently, they returned to Interstate as the supplier about 2 years
ago... perhaps you might want to check with them? BTW, they also carry the
Optima, which is an SLA... they now have one a "little" smaller (only 32#)
with about the same CCA (650@0F, 870@32) as their standard big one (37#,
750CCA@0, 980@32) but it is an expensive line ($95 for the smaller one, $135
for the larger). But, it is a starved-electrolyte SLA (I was told they are
used by the military, who even mounts it upside-down in some applications!),
and also has *very* low resistance (I've measured it), might be just right
- but it's a "Group 34" which is about an inch longer (9.4L x 6.8W x 7.6D)
than your group 26. Not cheap though. <br>
<br>
-John R.<br>
<br>
Dave Nelson wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite"
 cite="mid002701c3b6a5$921cb5c0$6501a8c0@VELOCITY">  
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; ">
 
  <meta content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" name="GENERATOR">
 
  <style></style>  
  <div><font face="Arial" size="2">Good question - I should have been more
 explicit...</font></div>
 
  <div>&nbsp;</div>
 
  <div><font face="Arial" size="2">The original battery I used was a Die
Hard "Gold",  group 26, PN 36080.&nbsp; It lasted about 4 years, and was actually
still going  strong when I decided to replace it at last year's annual due
to it's age.&nbsp;  I figured $30-40 bucks as opposed to a dead battery somewhere
on the road was a  good trade.&nbsp; Unfortunately, when I went to the local Sears,
I learned that  the "Gold" version of this battery was no longer available.&nbsp;
Worse, group  26 batteries were getting harder to find because they hadn't
been designed into  any cars for quite awhile.&nbsp; So, I went with the normal
Die Hard, which has  signficantly less CCA (Cold Cranking Amps - the amount
of current the battery  can develop at 0 degrees farenheit while maintaining
at least 7.2 Volts).&nbsp;  It worked, well, OK, during this spring, summer, and
fall, but recently has  failed.&nbsp; </font></div>
 
  <div>&nbsp;</div>
 
  <div><font face="Arial" size="2">Now, it's under warranty, and I can get
quite a bit  of value out of it by mearly replacing it.&nbsp; And that's the easiest
thing to  do.&nbsp; However, given that it has less current capacity than the
"Gold"  battery I used to have, it turns over my IO-360 slower than the "Gold"
did, and  I don't like that - I've always been worried about having the thing
die on me  since I put it in.&nbsp; So... I decided to check for options.&nbsp;  </font></div>
 
  <div>&nbsp;</div>
 
  <div><font face="Arial" size="2">Anyway, that's why I'm interested in options.&nbsp;
 I may well stick with a Group 26 battery...&nbsp; but, if there's a better  option
out there, I might go for it.&nbsp; Thanks!</font></div>
 
  <div>&nbsp;</div>
 
  <div><font face="Arial" size="2">Dave</font></div>
 
  <div>&nbsp;</div>
 
  <blockquote dir="ltr"
 style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(0,0,0); padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px;"> 
  
    <div
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;">-----
Original Message ----- </div>
   
    <div
 style="background: rgb(228,228,228) none repeat scroll 0%; font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>From:</b>
   <a title="romott@adelphia.net" href="mailto:romott@adelphia.net">Ronnie
   Brown</a> </div>
   
    <div
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>To:</b>
    <a title="reflector@tvbf.org" href="mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</a>
    </div>
   
    <div
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>Sent:</b>
Friday, November 28, 2003 4:48    PM</div>
   
    <div
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>Subject:</b>
Re: REFLECTOR:Battery</div>
   
    <div><br>
    </div>
   
    <div><font size="2">Sounds like your battery choice has been good.&nbsp; Why
   would you want to change?</font></div>
   
    <div>&nbsp;</div>
   
    <div><font size="2">Ronnie</font></div>
   
    <blockquote dir="ltr"
 style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(0,0,0); padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px;"> 
    
      <div
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;">-----
Original Message ----- </div>
     
      <div
 style="background: rgb(228,228,228) none repeat scroll 0%; font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>From:</b>
     <a title="davenali@charter.net" href="mailto:davenali@charter.net">Dave
     Nelson</a> </div>
     
      <div
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>To:</b>
      <a title="reflector@tvbf.org" href="mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</a>
      </div>
     
      <div
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>Sent:</b>
Friday, November 28, 2003 5:02      PM</div>
     
      <div
 style="font-family: arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size-adjust: none;"><b>Subject:</b>
REFLECTOR:Battery</div>
     
      <div><br>
      </div>
     
      <div><font face="Arial" size="2">I've been running a Sears Die Hard
group 26      battery in my IO-360 std-rg for many years.&nbsp; However, it's
time for a      fresh battery and I'm looking for other options.&nbsp; </font></div>
     
      <div>&nbsp;</div>
     
      <div><font face="Arial" size="2">What are you guys using?&nbsp; How happy
are      you?</font></div>
     
      <div>&nbsp;</div>
     
      <div><font face="Arial" size="2">Thanks!</font></div>
     
      <div>&nbsp;</div>
     
      <div><font face="Arial" size="2">Dave</font></div>
     
      <div>&nbsp;</div>
    </blockquote>
  </blockquote>
</blockquote>
<br>
</body>
</html>

--------------050806090804040001030904--