REFLECTOR:Re:Flight characteristics of a Canard

Scott reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:19:30 -0700


Here's a response by Tom Staggs, a professional Aerobatic Canard pilot who 
has done extensive flight testing of these airplanes as well.  Notice the 
very slight dig of the Velocity, "properly designed (such as one of Burt's 
designs) ", a common feeling in the Rutan Purest crowd..

I trust Tom's opinion because he's been that and done there.

Scott,

First of all, never say 'never'....

Theoretically, if the plane is properly designed (such as one of Burt's 
designs) and operated within the designed CG limit, what you say is pretty 
much correct. The plane can stall, even the main wing, but there will be 
enough static and dynamic stability built into the design that it will 
recover.

Having said this, I can cite several instances where planes I flew (my 
Long-EZ, a Cozy III I was test-flying for some folks, and a VEZ), all 
exhibited the tendency to enter something resembling a 'Deep Stall', which 
is characterized by a nose-high attitude, little or no airspeed indication, 
and a rate of descent of 2-4,000 fpm. In all three planes, the CG was 
within limits.

In the Long-EZ, I believe it was a combination of inverted flight (I was 
performing a maneuver in an air show) when rain contamination of my GU 
canard got me into an inverted deep stall. I fell about 800' before being 
able to use my rudders to roll wings level.

In the Cozy, the area of the broadened fuselage moves the center of 
projected area forward of the center of mass, so in very aggressive 
maneuvering, it is possible to perform a maneuver I can best describe as 
being like the 'Cobra' performed by some Russian fighters. Scary, but 
recovers on its own.

Lastly, the VEZ was actually at a slightly aft CG (large engine) and felt 
like it started to enter a deep stall as I performed some accelerated 
stalls. I powered up, recovered, landed, and never flew that airframe again.

I hope this answers your question,

Tom Staggs
Long-EZ N13YV
EAA Flight Advisor