REFLECTOR:V8 Vacuum system

Wayne reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:40:28 -0500


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C3A96D.F8F76C80
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Re: REFLECTOR:V8 Vacuum systemWhere did you get the external oil pump  =
you are using with the Gilmer pulleys? Is it a pressure pump or a =
scavenge pump?

I'm using two oil/ water  heat exchangers in parallel (less pressure =
drop) that are much more effective (delta T of 15 -25 degrees) than the  =
Setrab or generic oil coolers (delta T of 4 or 5 degrees) I tried =
before. This is not a problem for me because my radiator was too big =
before (top water temp of 195 degrees). Now it is removing oil heat =
also.   I'm using a remote oil filter mount also and -10 hose everywhere =
I can.

The Soob seems to need a third or more of its cooling in the oil.

I'm thinking  of using the drain in the oil pan as a pickup and the port =
I welded into the side of the pan as a return.  The pump would run off =
the pulley on the prop shaft where I previously had a vacuum pump.  This =
separate loop scavenge pump would use some power but wouldn't rob =
pressure from my lubrication system.=20

 Presently I am limited in speed by oil temperature (except for short =
sprints).

Wayne
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alex Balic=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 11:36 PM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:V8 Vacuum system


  Wayne- what does your cooling system consist of now? I have an adapter =
from canton racing that puts the oil filter on the firewall, and I am =
running a B&M oil cooler that has  -8 fittings already brazed to it, =
will run -10 hose to and from everything.... are you thinking of using a =
dry sump system now?

  Alex
    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On =
Behalf Of Wayne
    Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 6:59 PM
    To: reflector@tvbf.org
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:V8 Vacuum system



    Hi Dennis,
    Do you have anymore info on your dry sump oil pump? I'm planning a =
separate cooling loop for the SVX.  All the piping on my present system =
robs about 15 - 20 pounds of oil pressure from the lube system.
    Wayne Owens 173FG 3.3 litre  Soob 75 hours.
      ----- Original Message -----=20
      From: Dennis Martin=20
      To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
      Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 11:45 AM
      Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:V8 Vacuum system


      How about gilmer pulleys?  (Uses "tractor belts" with teeth). I've =
got two gilmers, one for my dry sump oil system, another for the =
alternator.  Perfect alignment is required, but there's no slippage.  =
IMHO, as good as serpentine.


      Dennis Martin


        Serpentine belts are to V-Belts pretty much what alternators are =
to generators IMO.

        Al Gietzen wrote:

          Yo; Jim!

          < The main thing that fails is the drive belt>


------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C3A96D.F8F76C80
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:V8 Vacuum system</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>BLOCKQUOTE {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
DL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
UL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
OL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
LI {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Where did you get the external oil =
pump&nbsp; you=20
are using with the Gilmer pulleys? Is it a pressure pump or a scavenge=20
pump?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm using two oil/ water&nbsp; heat =
exchangers in=20
parallel (less pressure drop) that are much more effective (delta T of =
15 -25=20
degrees) than the&nbsp; Setrab or generic oil coolers (delta T of 4 or 5 =

degrees) I tried before. This is not a problem for me because my =
radiator was=20
too big before (top water temp of 195 degrees). Now it is removing oil =
heat=20
also.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm using a remote oil filter mount also and -10 hose=20
everywhere I can.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Soob seems to need&nbsp;a third or =
more of its=20
cooling in the oil.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm thinking&nbsp; of using the drain =
in the oil=20
pan as a pickup and the port I welded into the side of the pan as a=20
return.&nbsp; The pump would run off the pulley on the prop shaft where =
I=20
previously had a vacuum pump.&nbsp;&nbsp;This separate loop scavenge =
pump=20
would&nbsp;use some power but wouldn't rob pressure from my lubrication =
system.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;Presently I am limited in speed =
by oil=20
temperature (except for short sprints).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wayne</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dalex157@direcway.com =
href=3D"mailto:alex157@direcway.com">Alex=20
  Balic</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, November 10, 2003 =
11:36=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:V8 =
Vacuum=20
  system</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D986053404-11112003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2>Wayne- what does your cooling system consist of now? I have =
an adapter=20
  from canton racing that puts the oil filter on the firewall, and I am =
running=20
  a B&amp;M oil cooler that has&nbsp; -8 fittings already brazed to it, =
will run=20
  -10 hose to and from everything.... are you thinking of using a dry =
sump=20
  system now?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D986053404-11112003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D986053404-11112003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2>Alex</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
    size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
    [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of =
</B>Wayne<BR><B>Sent:</B>=20
    Monday, November 10, 2003 6:59 PM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
    reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:V8 Vacuum=20
    system<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi Dennis,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Do you have anymore info on your =
dry sump oil=20
    pump? I'm planning a separate cooling loop for the SVX.&nbsp; All =
the piping=20
    on my present system robs about 15 - 20 pounds of oil pressure from =
the lube=20
    system.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wayne Owens 173FG 3.3 litre&nbsp; =
Soob 75=20
    hours.</FONT></DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- =
</DIV>
      <DIV=20
      style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
      <A title=3Ddmartin@cougar.netutah.net=20
      href=3D"mailto:dmartin@cougar.netutah.net">Dennis Martin</A> =
</DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
      href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, November 09, =
2003 11:45=20
      AM</DIV>
      <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:V8 =
Vacuum=20
      system</DIV>
      <DIV><BR></DIV>
      <DIV>How about gilmer pulleys?&nbsp; (Uses "tractor belts" with =
teeth).=20
      I've got two gilmers, one for my dry sump oil system, another for =
the=20
      alternator.&nbsp; Perfect alignment is required, but there's no=20
      slippage.&nbsp; IMHO, as good as serpentine.</DIV>
      <DIV><BR></DIV>
      <DIV>Dennis Martin</DIV>
      <DIV><BR></DIV>
      <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3D"" type=3D"cite">Serpentine belts are to =
V-Belts pretty=20
        much what alternators are to generators IMO.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
      <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3D"" type=3D"cite">Al Gietzen wrote:<BR>
        <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3D"" type=3D"cite"><FONT face=3D"Times New =
Roman"=20
          color=3D#0000ff>Yo; Jim!</FONT><BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
        <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3D"" type=3D"cite"><FONT face=3D"Times New =
Roman"=20
          color=3D#0000ff>&lt;</FONT><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 =
size=3D-1> The=20
          main thing that fails is the drive=20
      belt&gt;</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
      =
<DIV><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00B0_01C3A96D.F8F76C80--