REFLECTOR:Synthetic Oil

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:28:13 -0600


I'm also consuming the same in my Franklin.  I think some, maybe most, of the oil loss occurs when the engine is shut off.  With the cylinders
oriented horizontally, oil can seep past the rings.  I see quite a bit of oil in my intake manifold.  Consistent with this, I also note the
consumption on a per hour basis is less for long trips, so I would suggest that you take longer trips.

John

Scott wrote:

> So Ronnie,
>
> know of any magic methods of reducing oil consumption, I'm using about the
> same.
>
> Scott
>
> At 10:00 AM 11/12/2003, you wrote:
> >As I recall, Mobil had an aviation oil that didn't work out. I did a
> >google search and found this article:
> >
> ><http://listarchives.his.com/dcpilots-l/dcpilots-l.0111/msg00781.html>http://listarchives.his.com/dcpilots-l/dcpilots-l.0111/msg00781.html
> >
> >By the way, I ran my break in oil too long (80 hours, I changed it at 40
> >and put in mineral oil again)  - waiting for my oil consumption to
> >"stabilize".  It was using 1 quart in 5-6 hours and it never got any
> >better.  When I called Don George, he said the mineral oil should be out
> >of there in 25 hours.  He said some of the problem with oil consumption
> >with our pusher Velocities are that they are running in a vacuum compared
> >to pressure on tractor airplanes.  He said to fix any leaks then that is
> >about all you can do.  I do have a couple of leaks - one in the bottom of
> >the oil filler and one near a bolt I removed to install a wire support
> >Adel clamp.
> >
> >Ronnie
> >
> >
> >----- Original Message -----
> >From: <mailto:rdugas@bayou.com>Rene Dugas
> >To: <mailto:reflector@tvbf.org>reflector@tvbf.org
> >Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 11:33 AM
> >Subject: REFLECTOR:Synthetic Oil
> >
> >Dear Folks,
> >
> >Why is synthetic oil not recommended after break-in in Lycoming
> >engines?  I know they leak but we all know synthetics lubricate
> >better.  Is it just a certification problem and should we experimental
> >actually use synthetics like Mobil one or Catrol?
> >
> >Many opinions are flying around so hit me with a few.
> >
> >Rene' Dugas
> >
> >Flying.
> >
> >FYI.  I don't know the Rutans and have only done one aileron roll in my plane.
> >
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html