REFLECTOR:Stall Characteristics
John Dibble
reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:58:34 -0600
It seems to me that stalls should not be practiced in a Velocity for the following
reasons:
1) The remote possibility of a deep stall that can't be recovered from.
2) Recovery from normal stalls is automatic so there is no need to practice a
recovery technique.
I suppose it is good to experience one or two so you know what they feel like and also
to determine the power-off stall speed of the airplane. Sometimes on final with two
people at 70 kn, I feel a gentile, slight, slow oscillation of the nose which is easy
to correct with down trim or power as needed. Is it possible to unintentionally cause
a deep stall?
John
Scott Baker wrote:
> Scott,
> All I'm saying is that:
> 1) The aircraft is not designed to perform aerobatic flight and especially
> slow speed aerobatic flight such as hammerhead stalls
> 2) I wasn't born yesterday, and while I don't at all pretend to be an expert
> at aerodynamics - as a CFI with close to 1,000 hours of flight experience in
> Velocity aircraft - I am would be quite worried about inviting a deep stall.
> Opinions do matter. What makes you take one CFI's opinion as gospel and
> discount another's as garbage?
> 3) The purpose of my message was to get people thinking about the
> consequences of a deep stall and to act responsibly. I really don't know
> how the aircraft will behave following a hammerhead type maneuver. If
> someone has been there - done that, I would love to hear about their
> experiences. I don't think that anyone has - I know the current flight crew
> at Velocity have not - and so the subject is open to speculation.
> 4) Unless you have personal experience - or know of someone who has personal
> experience who can testify as to the aircraft's behavior following a deep
> stall - I think it is dangerous to offer an opinion that the aircraft is
> (deep) stall proof. I think the aircraft can be deep stalled - I think the
> aircraft can recover from a deep stall - but I think it will take several
> thousand feet of altitude and an engine/propeller combination that offers
> thrust to help the aircraft out of the stall.
> 5) If we were to judge which opinion should prevail - caution vs.. "go
> ahead, nothing bad can happen" ... guess which opinion I'm going to listen
> to.
> I don't understand why you are so defensive regarding an issue that if you
> were wrong, could cost someone serious injury or death.
> SB