REFLECTOR:Synthetic Oil

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:00:45 -0500


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0089_01C3A914.9AF6A000
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_008A_01C3A914.9AF6A000"


------=_NextPart_001_008A_01C3A914.9AF6A000
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

As I recall, Mobil had an aviation oil that didn't work out. I did a =
google search and found this article:

http://listarchives.his.com/dcpilots-l/dcpilots-l.0111/msg00781.html

By the way, I ran my break in oil too long (80 hours, I changed it at 40 =
and put in mineral oil again)  - waiting for my oil consumption to =
"stabilize".  It was using 1 quart in 5-6 hours and it never got any =
better.  When I called Don George, he said the mineral oil should be out =
of there in 25 hours.  He said some of the problem with oil consumption =
with our pusher Velocities are that they are running in a vacuum =
compared to pressure on tractor airplanes.  He said to fix any leaks =
then that is about all you can do.  I do have a couple of leaks - one in =
the bottom of the oil filler and one near a bolt I removed to install a =
wire support Adel clamp.

Ronnie


  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rene Dugas=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 11:33 AM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:Synthetic Oil


  Dear Folks,

  Why is synthetic oil not recommended after break-in in Lycoming =
engines?  I know they leak but we all know synthetics lubricate better.  =
Is it just a certification problem and should we experimental actually =
use synthetics like Mobil one or Catrol?

  Many opinions are flying around so hit me with a few.

  Rene' Dugas

  Flying.

  FYI.  I don't know the Rutans and have only done one aileron roll in =
my plane.


------=_NextPart_001_008A_01C3A914.9AF6A000
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"Quad 011" name=3D"Microsoft Theme 2.00">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Trebuchet MS;
}
@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }
P.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #663333; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #663333; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; COLOR: #663333; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial
}
H1 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 24pt; MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt; COLOR: =
black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial
}
H2 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 18pt; MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt; COLOR: =
black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial
}
H3 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt; COLOR: =
black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial
}
H4 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt; COLOR: =
black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial
}
H5 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt; COLOR: =
black; FONT-FAMILY: "Trebuchet MS"
}
H6 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt; COLOR: =
black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #993300; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #993300; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #999999; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #999999; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	COLOR: #663333
}
DIV.Section1 {
	page: Section1
}
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US vLink=3D#999999 link=3D#993300 bgColor=3Dwhite=20
background=3Dcid:008801c3a93e$834e0220$f4404744@atlaga.adelphia.net>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As I recall, Mobil had an aviation oil that didn't =
work out. I=20
did a google search and found this article:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://listarchives.his.com/dcpilots-l/dcpilots-l.0111/msg00781.h=
tml">http://listarchives.his.com/dcpilots-l/dcpilots-l.0111/msg00781.html=
</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>By the way, I ran my break in oil too long (80 =
hours, I=20
changed it at 40 and put in mineral oil again) &nbsp;- waiting for my =
oil=20
consumption to "stabilize".&nbsp; It was using 1 quart in 5-6 hours and =
it never=20
got any better.&nbsp; When I called Don George, he said the mineral oil =
should=20
be out of there in 25 hours.&nbsp; He said some of the problem with oil=20
consumption with our pusher&nbsp;Velocities are that they are running in =
a=20
vacuum compared to pressure on tractor airplanes.&nbsp; He said to fix =
any leaks=20
then that is about all you can do.&nbsp; I do have a couple of leaks - =
one in=20
the bottom of the oil filler and one near a bolt I removed to install a =
wire=20
support Adel clamp.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Drdugas@bayou.com href=3D"mailto:rdugas@bayou.com">Rene =
Dugas</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, November 12, =
2003 11:33=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Synthetic =
Oil</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Trebuchet MS" color=3D#663333 =
size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Dear Folks,</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Trebuchet MS" color=3D#663333 =
size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Why is synthetic oil not recommended after =
break-in in=20
  Lycoming engines?&nbsp; I know they leak but we all know synthetics =
lubricate=20
  better.&nbsp; Is it just a certification problem and should we =
experimental=20
  actually use synthetics like Mobil one or Catrol?</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Trebuchet MS" color=3D#663333 =
size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Many opinions are flying around so hit me =
with a=20
  few.</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Trebuchet MS" color=3D#663333 =
size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Rene&#8217; Dugas</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Trebuchet MS" color=3D#663333 =
size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Flying.</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3D"Trebuchet MS" color=3D#663333 =
size=3D3><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt">FYI.&nbsp; I don&#8217;t know the Rutans and =
have only done=20
  one aileron roll in my =
plane.</SPAN></FONT></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_008A_01C3A914.9AF6A000--

------=_NextPart_000_0089_01C3A914.9AF6A000
Content-Type: image/gif;
	name="image001.gif"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <008801c3a93e$834e0220$f4404744@atlaga.adelphia.net>
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------=_NextPart_000_0089_01C3A914.9AF6A000--