REFLECTOR:Baffling, CHT, EGT, Ehxaust Wrap ...
Scott
reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:41:43 -0700
> > Have you read "The Pelican's Perch" articles about LOP operations? If not
>I love that guy.
Yeah, I think his 3 engine series articles are a must read for anybody
flying today.
Assuming they are clean to begin with, how clean do they run? I'd imagine
>that they have that nice creamy brown color. Is this what you are seeing?
>Are you running aviation plugs, or auto plugs? What reach (heat)?
I'm running auto plugs on the EI, I can't remember the part no but they are
the standard(cheapo) plugs that Klaus sends with the unit and
recommends. I bought a set of the high priced ones ($9.00 whole dollars
apiece!) and ran them for about 10 hours. I thought the cheapos ran
better, so I switched back to them. I change them every 100 hours, $3 a
piece. The EI plugs run a light tan color and are always as clean as when
I took them out of the box.
The lower plugs, aviation type, on the mag get oily (my engine was broken
in by an amateur and will probably burn more oil than it needs too until I
rebuild the cylinders. These lower plugs are the ones I need to clean
every 50 hours. If they get real oily I can't run any leaner than 50 LOP,
or they start to misfire I guess.
>cracking, but it's my first time doing something like this. I wonder if
>ceramic coating inside and out would prevent corrosion? But then one
>wouldn't need to wrap, would he?
I've heard good and bad about the ceramic coating, the bad being that it
flakes off, especially on the inside. I know of a couple high end exhaust
shops that don't do it anymore unless the customer(always right) demands it.
Scott