REFLECTOR:V8 Vacuum system

Scott reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:00:08 -0700


At 07:58 PM 11/9/2003, you wrote:
>My guess would be serpentine.
>a)  V-belts fail more often

Hmmm...  any real data points on this??  I've run some awfully old V 
belts.  I think I've only had one fail to the point of actually breaking in 
two.  It was probably in excess of 20 years old..

>b)  When a V-belt does fail, others are still under power and fragments 
>get tangled up in operating stuff and can cause lots of cause collateral 
>damage.

I've never had this happen or seen it happen.

>c)  In the unlikely event of a serpentine failure, everything stops and 
>the broken belt drops into the bottom of the cowl

Now that's wishful thinking.

Scott


>Just a theory ... Jim S.
>
>Robin Ream wrote:
>>So which belt type is the least likely to break and end up somewhere 
>>where you really don't want it? Robin
>>----- Original Message -----
>>From: <mailto:dmartin@cougar.netutah.net>Dennis Martin
>>To: <mailto:reflector@tvbf.org>reflector@tvbf.org
>>Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 10:45 AM
>>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:V8 Vacuum system
>>  How about gilmer pulleys?  (Uses "tractor belts" with teeth). I've got 
>> two gilmers, one for my dry sump oil system, another for the 
>> alternator.  Perfect alignment is required, but there's no 
>> slippage.  IMHO, as good as serpentine. Dennis Martin
>>>Serpentine belts are to V-Belts pretty much what alternators are to 
>>>generators IMO.
>>>Al Gietzen wrote:
>>>>Yo; Jim!
>>>>< The main thing that fails is the drive belt>
>>
>--
>Jim Sower
>Crossville, TN; Chapter 5
>Long-EZ N83RT, Velocity N4095T
>