REFLECTOR:Rotarys, Lycosaurs, etc.

Brian Michalk reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:01:40 -0600


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01C3A383.CEEEB6E0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0082_01C3A383.CEEEB6E0"


------=_NextPart_001_0082_01C3A383.CEEEB6E0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

My mistake.  I thought we were talking about a four cylinder Subaru piston
engine.  I don't have enough knowledge on rotaries to make comments about
power/longevity.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of Jim Sower
  Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 9:06 AM
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Rotarys, Lycosaurs, etc.


  Brian,
  Very enlightening pictures.  I had a picture (couldn't find it on short
notice) of a Lycoming O-320, producing the 0.5 hp/cuin it was designed to
produce but broke a jug off and flailed the rod around the case during the
emergency landing.  Scared the beejeezus out of me.  I'm told that's what
happens when you run a Lyc at "full power" ... :o)
  As to your speculations around how he gets all that power out of a measly
153 cuin, I would invite your attention to some basic design attributes -
like 3 or 4 moving parts (which will tend to reduce internal losses a little
bit), a rotating mass (which seems to reduce internal losses, bearing loads
and stress on moving (and un-moving) parts) and the fact (previously alluded
to) that the crankshaft turns three revolutions to each rotor revolution
(somewhat reducing centrifugal loads).  Operating a rotary at 6000 rpm
represents 2000 rotor rpm with, at the risk of repeating myself, NO
RECIPROCATING PARTS.

  In the racing world, rotarys seem to win much more often than the number
of entries would seem to indicate, perhaps partly because they finish
somewhat more often than recips on account of their simplicity, reliability
and robust design.

  Of course, comparing recips to rotarys is comparing apples and oranges
.... Jim S.

  Brian Michalk wrote:

    Yeow.  That's a 153 cubic inch engine, rounded up for good measure.A lot
of people feel that keeping below 1 horsepower per cubic inch is about what
people should be pushing engines for longevity.Unless he's turbocharging,
running at rediculously high RPMs and compresion ratios, I find it
surprising to get that much horsepower.  I would really like to see the
engineering he's put into that engine.  Must be an oversized machined billet
crank, reinforced main bearings and reinforced case.  Pistons, rods ...Some
pictures of a Ford 302 block making more power than it could
handle:http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=387871If I
recall correctly he was making 600 to 700 horsepower on a stock block.
Brian Michalk  <http://www.michalk.com>
    Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done something.
    Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
    musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and barely single

      -----Original Message-----
      From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Nolan Frederick
      Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 7:45 PM
      To: reflector@tvbf.org
      Subject: REFLECTOR:Rotarys, Lycosaurs, etc.

      Gentlemen,    I hope I don't offend with this.  But I just spoke with
Lance Wheeler of NSI the other day and he told me he's getting ready to
produce a 2.5L (4 cyl) turbocharged Subaru FWF pkg that his dyno says puts
out 300 hp.  I'll bet one thing.  It'll be a lot quieter than those rotarys.
But, many more moving parts though.  I understand the 6 cyl turbo'd Subaru
will put out 300 hp and will likely cost a lot less than a 540 Lycosaur and
probably won't beat your props up quite so much.  Oh yes, Mr. Wheeler said
he has developed a new heavy duty PSRU for the 300 hp 4 cyl engine.  No, I
don't work for NSI.  I just thought some of you Velocityites might find this
interesting.nolan.
  --
  Jim Sower
  Crossville, TN; Chapter 5
  Long-EZ N83RT, Velocity N4095T



------=_NextPart_001_0082_01C3A383.CEEEB6E0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY background=3Dcid:670525915@05112003-10e4 bgColor=3D#ffffff =
id=3DridBody>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D670525915-05112003>My mistake.&nbsp; I thought we =
were talking=20
about a four cylinder Subaru piston engine.&nbsp; I don't have enough =
knowledge=20
on rotaries to make comments about power/longevity.</SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: =
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
  <DIV align=3Dleft class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr><FONT=20
  face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf =
Of=20
  </B>Jim Sower<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, November 05, 2003 9:06=20
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: =
REFLECTOR:Rotarys,=20
  Lycosaurs, etc.<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>Brian, <BR>Very enlightening=20
  pictures.&nbsp; I had a picture (couldn't find it on short notice) of =
a=20
  Lycoming O-320, producing the 0.5 hp/cuin it was designed to produce =
but broke=20
  a jug off and flailed the rod around the case during the emergency=20
  landing.&nbsp; Scared the beejeezus out of me.&nbsp; I'm told that's =
what=20
  happens when you run a Lyc at "full power" ... :o)=20
  <P>As to your speculations around how he gets all that power out of a =
measly=20
  153 cuin, I would invite your attention to some basic design =
attributes - like=20
  3 or 4 moving parts (which will tend to reduce internal losses a =
little bit),=20
  a rotating mass (which seems to reduce internal losses, bearing loads =
and=20
  stress on moving (and un-moving) parts) and the fact (previously =
alluded to)=20
  that the crankshaft turns three revolutions to each rotor revolution =
(somewhat=20
  reducing centrifugal loads).&nbsp; Operating a rotary at 6000 rpm =
represents=20
  2000 rotor rpm with, at the risk of repeating myself, NO RECIPROCATING =
PARTS.=20
  <P>In the racing world, rotarys seem to win much more often than the =
number of=20
  entries would seem to indicate, perhaps partly because they finish =
somewhat=20
  more often than recips on account of their simplicity, reliability and =
robust=20
  design.=20
  <P>Of course, comparing recips to rotarys is comparing apples and =
oranges ....=20
  Jim S.=20
  <P>Brian Michalk wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3D"CITE">
    <STYLE>BODY {
	COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
MARGIN-LEFT: 25px; MARGIN-TOP: 25px
}
P.msoNormal {
	COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"; FONT-SIZE: =
10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px
}
LI.msoNormal {
	COLOR: #ffffcc; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"; FONT-SIZE: =
10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px
}
</STYLE>
    <SPAN class=3D140220704-05112003>Yeow.&nbsp; That's a 153 cubic inch =
engine,=20
    rounded up for good measure.</SPAN><SPAN=20
    class=3D140220704-05112003></SPAN><SPAN class=3D140220704-05112003>A =
lot of=20
    people feel that keeping below 1 horsepower per cubic inch is about =
what=20
    people should be pushing engines for longevity.</SPAN><SPAN=20
    class=3D140220704-05112003></SPAN><SPAN =
class=3D140220704-05112003>Unless he's=20
    turbocharging, running at rediculously high RPMs and compresion =
ratios, I=20
    find it surprising to get that much horsepower.&nbsp; I would really =
like to=20
    see the engineering he's put into that engine.&nbsp; Must be an =
oversized=20
    machined billet crank, reinforced main bearings and reinforced =
case.&nbsp;=20
    Pistons, rods ...</SPAN><SPAN =
class=3D140220704-05112003></SPAN><SPAN=20
    class=3D140220704-05112003>Some pictures of a Ford 302 block making =
more power=20
    than it could handle:</SPAN><SPAN class=3D140220704-05112003><A=20
    =
href=3D"http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=3D&amp;threadid=3D3=
87871">http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=3D&amp;threadid=3D38=
7871</A></SPAN><SPAN=20
    class=3D140220704-05112003>If I recall correctly he was making 600 =
to 700=20
    horsepower on a stock block.</SPAN><SPAN=20
    class=3D140220704-05112003></SPAN>&nbsp;&nbsp;Brian Michalk&nbsp; =
&lt;<A=20
    href=3D"http://www.michalk.com/" =
target=3D_blank>http://www.michalk.com</A>&gt;=20
    <BR>Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done =
something.=20
    <BR>Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA =
diver=20
    <BR>musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and barely single <BR>&nbsp; =

    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
    style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
      <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr><FONT =
face=3DTahoma>-----Original=20
      Message-----</FONT> <BR><FONT face=3DTahoma><B>From:</B>=20
      reflector-admin@tvbf.org [<A=20
      =
href=3D"mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org">mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org<=
/A>]<B>On=20
      Behalf Of </B>Nolan Frederick</FONT> <BR><FONT =
face=3DTahoma><B>Sent:</B>=20
      Tuesday, November 04, 2003 7:45 PM</FONT> <BR><FONT =
face=3DTahoma><B>To:</B>=20
      reflector@tvbf.org</FONT> <BR><FONT face=3DTahoma><B>Subject:</B>=20
      REFLECTOR:Rotarys, Lycosaurs, etc.</FONT>=20
      <BR>&nbsp;</DIV>Gentlemen,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I hope I don't offend =
with=20
      this.&nbsp; But I just spoke with Lance Wheeler of NSI the other =
day and=20
      he told me he's getting ready to produce a 2.5L (4 cyl) =
turbocharged=20
      Subaru FWF pkg that his dyno says puts out 300 hp.&nbsp; I'll bet =
one=20
      thing.&nbsp; It'll be a lot quieter than those rotarys.&nbsp; But, =
many=20
      more moving parts though.&nbsp; I understand the 6 cyl turbo'd =
Subaru will=20
      put out 300 hp and will likely cost a lot less than a 540 Lycosaur =
and=20
      probably won't beat your props up quite so much.&nbsp; Oh yes, Mr. =
Wheeler=20
      said he has developed a new heavy duty PSRU for the 300 hp 4 cyl=20
      engine.&nbsp; No, I don't work for NSI.&nbsp; I just thought some =
of you=20
      Velocityites might find this=20
interesting.nolan.&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
  <P>-- <BR>Jim Sower <BR>Crossville, TN; Chapter 5 <BR>Long-EZ N83RT, =
Velocity=20
  N4095T <BR>&nbsp; </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0082_01C3A383.CEEEB6E0--

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01C3A383.CEEEB6E0
Content-Type: image/gif;
	name="Blank Bkgrd.gif"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <670525915@05112003-10e4>

R0lGODlhLQAtAID/AP////f39ywAAAAALQAtAEACcAxup8vtvxKQsFon6d02898pGkgiYoCm6sq2
7iqWcmzOsmeXeA7uPJd5CYdD2g9oPF58ygqz+XhCG9JpJGmlYrPXGlfr/Yo/VW45e7amp2tou/lW
xo/zX513z+Vt+1n/tiX2pxP4NUhy2FM4xtjIUQAAOw==

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01C3A383.CEEEB6E0--