REFLECTOR:Gear Up Landing - N6Q

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 30 May 2003 10:35:56 -0400


Confessions of a Sinner:

Because of unusual circumstances, most beyond my control, I fall into the
middle of the "more money than time" pack that was referenced in Balic's
$0.02.  It's not really that I have a lot of money, its just that I have
almost no time.  Add to the situation fewer than a handful of flying hours
in anything in the last 4 years (including 0 time in complex or high
performance), and you may ask yourself, what is that fool doing buying a XL
RG 300.  

Well, my feelings are not hurt if you thought that because those were my
EXACT feelings after the first couple hours of dual.  My instructor reminded
me I was supposed to set back and enjoy myself. Yeh, right!

When the insurance company originally conveyed the requirements of 15 hours
dual and 10 solo cross country, my first thought was "those scoundrels."
After those first couple hours dual, I thought "that's about right!"  

Like all transitions, one struggles along until those "golden" moments when
things feel and look right, and you can repeat it.  One of the last things
the Instructor and I did was spend 1-2 hours doing nothing but talking about
emergency procedures.  Then, we went out and flew them.  Including gear
failure (yes, the dump valve works!) and engine outs from final, base and
downwind; all accomplished safely and easily.

Although, as we were over the numbers for the downwind engine out procedure,
the tower told us to go around.  It seems he was a little concerned about a
gearless plane coming over the numbers (even though he had been told in
advance of the exercise).  By the time he called, we were actually in the
process of lowering the gear and everything was in good shape but the
go-around was good practice and its nice to know that tower-guy is paying
attention.

This week I brought the plane home to TN.  I landed at TYS (9,000') before
moving it over to its base at DKX (3,500') the next day.  3,500' is a great
plenty as long as you're right on the airspeed and altitude over the
numbers...something that wasn't always the case during the initial dual.
With a little head wind, I landed with lots of room to spare.

Am I now a great pilot, even a good pilot?  Not hardly.  Am I a safe pilot
that represents a minimum of danger to others as well as my self?  I'm
getting there.  But what I am for sure, is a conservative pilot.  Weather,
runway, cross wind and mechanical conditions all must be above-good before
venturing forth.

I call this whole problem the "Thurmond Munson Syndrome."  For those with a
couple of gray hairs you will remember Munson, an All-Star catcher with the
Yankees, bought a Lear jet and was flying it with something like 100 TT of
flying.  One flight ended about 100 yards short when he got low and slow and
didn't have the turbines spooled up.  In the end, just because you have the
money to buy it (or build it) doesn't mean you have the ability to fly it.
Fortunately, even the ham-handed can get there (I'm proof), but it takes
good instruction, time and practice.  There's good instructors out
there--take the time and take advantage of them!

Chuck
N27GV

P.S. Special thanks to Steve Bisso CFI (I saw him squirming over there a
couple times--I couldn't tell if he had hemorrhoids or if I was giving 'em
to him) for the time and patience.