REFLECTOR:Cooling things down
Ronnie Brown
reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 23 May 2003 11:44:01 -0400
Scott,
Try the folks at http://www.airflowperformance.com/
These guys are sharp and they can do power balancing similar to what Gami
does (cheaper, I think, but I haven't actually had them do this yet.) I did
buy my aux fuel pump and fuel filter from them. Impressive shop and
calibrated air flow and fuel flow benches!
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 11:01 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR:Cooling things down
> Well I was testing out some modifications to my air diverter to see if I
> could bring the temps down on #2 & #1 cylinders yesterday. I had also
> made some modifications to the cowling baffles. Good news is I reduced
> the Cylinder temps across the board by about 10 degrees, bad news is the
> temp differential between the cylinders stayed the same.
>
>
> We had our hottest day this summer season. Well above average, it was 90
> at the airport when I took off and was almost 70 degrees at 10500.
>
> Good day to test cooling problems!!
>
> EGT Question!
>
> Somebody had mentioned insuring the EGT's were in line and I had said
> they were. Well, it appears that wasn't the case.
>
> At 50 LOP
>
> #1 cylinder, EGT 1350 CHT 350
> #2 cylinder, EGT 1360 CHT 365
> #3 cylinder, EGT 1315 CHT 320
> #4 cylinder, EGT 1300 CHT 305
>
> Seems like a definite correlation between egt and cht, maybe a
> coincidence but I don't think so. So the first order of business is to
> get the EGT's in line. I have an IO360. Seems like changing the
> nozzles in #1 & #2 to richer(larger orifice) or changing #3 & #4 to
> leaner(smaller orifice) should do the trick. My parts manual says the
> LW-18265 nozzles for a IO-360-CIC come in A, B and C sizes. You are
> supposed to have all A's or all B's etc. installed. The A's are the
> larger orifice, the C the smallest. I'm not sure which are installed on
> my engine yet to determine which way I should go.
>
> Anybody know where I can buy these in lots of 1 or two? I would like to
> avoid buying a whole set.
>
> OIL COOLER QUESTION!
>
> My oil temp at the highest power setting to maintain max RPM 2700-2730
> at 50 LOP would cause my oil temps to be in the range of 220-228 in
> cruise. I don't like this at all. 210 is fine, and I see that all
> winter/spring, but above that I start to worry. I realize that getting
> the EGT's down for #1 will probably lower the oil temps some.
> However I would like to consider how to install a secondary oil cooler.
> Perma-Cool http://www.perma-cool.com/index.html seems to have some
> nicely made small size coolers. They also have a thermostat that
> bypass's the cooler until the temps get to 180 degrees, a must for a
> secondary cooler so it doesn't interfere during the winter months.
>
> Couple questions.
>
> a.) What is the oil flow rate for a IO360 at 2700 RPM? I can't find it
> in the engine manual.
> b.) Where have people put their secondary coolers?
> c.) Anybody using a fan/cooler combo like Perma-Cool sells?
>
>
> Scott
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose