REFLECTOR:BATTERIES

Bob Hugel reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 11:04:27 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C31F88.BFBE02E0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I too have been putting some thought on batteries as I build my batter =
tray.  I'd like some feedback on my thoughts here...

I'm considering going with an auto battery which is sized for a honda =
civic. The battery is about 30-40% smaller (and lighter) than what is =
called for in the manual (chevy battery, I think).  But it can be had =
with very close CCA spec's and obviously 12v.  Because of this size, it =
is also much lighter which is a plus..

My only concern is the weight, without the weight of the battery, and I =
going to be running in a L&B issue with a much lighter battery in the =
front?

Any comments?
bob
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On =
Behalf Of RJohn15183@aol.com
  Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 10:41 AM
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:BATTERIES


  >>I want a primary battery for starting and the usual ... what do you =
think is the best with a 60 amp alternator and 12 volt system?<<

  Well, I used the highly scientific method of taking my battery tray to =
Wal-mart and finding the sealed battery that fit the tray best.=20

  >>Next, I want a back-up battery ... aren=E2=80=99t deep cycle best =
for these applications?<<

  Are you using an auto-engine conversion? If you have a mag fired =
engine a backup battery is just wasted dead weight. The Wal-mart battery =
that fits your tray will crank you engine for a long, long time (don't =
ask how I know that :0 ) and more importantly it will run your avionics =
for a very long time. Longer than your fuel supply will last. So why =
bother?

  If you are using an auto engine then never mind, get the backup =
battery.=20

  Rob




------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C31F88.BFBE02E0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8">


<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D715270015-21052003>I too=20
have been putting some thought on batteries as I build my batter =
tray.&nbsp; I'd=20
like some feedback on my thoughts here...</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D715270015-21052003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D715270015-21052003>I'm=20
considering going with an auto battery which is sized for a honda civic. =
The=20
battery is about 30-40% smaller (and lighter) than what is called for in =
the=20
manual (chevy battery, I think).&nbsp; But it can be had with very=20
close&nbsp;CCA spec's and obviously 12v.&nbsp; Because of this size, it =
is also=20
much lighter which is a plus..</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D715270015-21052003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D715270015-21052003>My=20
only concern is the weight, without the weight of the battery, and I =
going to be=20
running in a L&amp;B issue with a much lighter battery in the=20
front?</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D715270015-21052003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D715270015-21052003>Any=20
comments?</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D715270015-21052003>bob</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of=20
  </B>RJohn15183@aol.com<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, May 21, 2003 10:41=20
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re:=20
  REFLECTOR:BATTERIES<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><FONT =
face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT=20
  lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">&gt;&gt;I want a =
primary battery=20
  for starting and the usual ... what do you think is the best with a 60 =
amp=20
  alternator and 12 volt system?&lt;&lt;<BR><BR>Well, I used the highly=20
  scientific method of taking my battery tray to Wal-mart and finding =
the sealed=20
  battery that fit the tray best. </FONT><FONT lang=3D0=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=3DArial color=3D#000000 =
size=3D3=20
  FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF"><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;</FONT><FONT lang=3D0=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=3DArial color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2=20
  FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">Next, I want a back-up battery ... aren=E2=80=99t =
deep cycle best=20
  for these applications?</FONT><FONT lang=3D0 =
style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"=20
  face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D3 =
FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">&lt;&lt;<BR><BR>Are you=20
  using an auto-engine conversion? If you have a mag fired engine a =
backup=20
  battery is just wasted dead weight. The Wal-mart battery that fits =
your tray=20
  will crank you engine for a long, long time (don't ask how I know that =
:0 )=20
  and more importantly it will run your avionics for a very long time. =
Longer=20
  than your fuel supply will last. So why bother?<BR><BR>If you are =
using an=20
  auto engine then never mind, get the backup battery.=20
  <BR><BR>Rob<BR><BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C31F88.BFBE02E0--