REFLECTOR:AIR CONDITIONING?

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 10:58:24 EDT


--part1_145.11e42724.2bfcee10_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

>>Has anyone ever considered AC in the Velocity?=A0 <<

Sure, it's been done. Look back through your VV or get the back issues. (You=
=20
do support VV right?)

>>Are they pains in the A$#?<<

Absolutely! AC is always a pain no matter what kind of plane. Add in the=20
tight cowl of a Velo and the lack of an (otherwise worthless) tail cone area=
=20
and a Velocity is a double challenge.=20

AC is bulky and heavy and sucks a lot of electricity (worst of all it still=20
heavy and bulky in the winter) Now, I was toying around with this crazy idea=
=20
of taking the self contained AC units you see on the tops of campers and=20
RV's. Taking it apart and rearranging the components into a new=20
self-contained unit built to fit in one of the strake baggage area's. Then=20
when the weather is nice you could remove the unit easily and get rid of tha=
t=20
dead weight.=20

>>Are there efficient aviation units? <<=A0

Efficient Air Conditioning is an oxymoron. :-)=A0

>>Summers can be dreadful in the cockpit!<<

Yeah, I live in Dallas so I know exactly what you mean!=20

>>Any other thoughts on cooling?=A0 Anyone ever try fans to move air rapidly=
.<<

Really, it was not too bad. The big gull doors being open help a lot on the=20
ground all though I did miss the prop blast. (put a strap on your passenger=20
door that will hang down when the door is open so you can reach it and pull=20
the door shut while belted into the pilots seat)

I also put in a NACA scoop opposite from the nose oil cooler between the=20
battery and the Lanza gear control box. Once you are airborne the blast from=
=20
the front NACA and the overhead air plenum really does a great job of moving=
=20
air. Better than any spam can. I know of.=20

Rob

--part1_145.11e42724.2bfcee10_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">&gt;&gt;Has anyone ever considered AC in the Velocity?=
=A0 &lt;&lt;<BR>
<BR>
Sure, it's been done. Look back through your VV or get the back issues. (You=
 do support VV right?)<BR>
<BR>
&gt;&gt;Are they pains in the A$#?&lt;&lt;<BR>
<BR>
Absolutely! AC is always a pain no matter what kind of plane. Add in the tig=
ht cowl of a Velo and the lack of an (otherwise worthless) tail cone area an=
d a Velocity is a double challenge. <BR>
<BR>
AC is bulky and heavy and sucks a lot of electricity (worst of all it still=20=
heavy and bulky in the winter) Now, I was toying around with this crazy idea=
 of taking the self contained AC units you see on the tops of campers and RV=
's. Taking it apart and rearranging the components into a new self-contained=
 unit built to fit in one of the strake baggage area's. Then when the weathe=
r is nice you could remove the unit easily and get rid of that dead weight.=20=
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">&gt;&gt;Are there efficient=20=
aviation units? &lt;&lt;=A0</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROU=
ND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><=
BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Efficient Air Conditioning i=
s an oxymoron. :-)=A0</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COL=
OR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
&gt;&gt;</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"=20=
SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Summers can be dread=
ful in the cockpit!&lt;&lt;<BR>
<BR>
Yeah, I live in Dallas so I know exactly what you mean! <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">&gt;&gt;Any other thoughts o=
n cooling?=A0 Anyone ever try fans to move air rapidly.&lt;&lt;<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Really, it was not too bad.=20=
The big gull doors being open help a lot on the ground all though I did miss=
 the prop blast. (put a strap on your passenger door that will hang down whe=
n the door is open so you can reach it and pull the door shut while belted i=
nto the pilots seat)<BR>
<BR>
I also put in a NACA scoop opposite from the nose oil cooler between the bat=
tery and the Lanza gear control box. Once you are airborne the blast from th=
e front NACA and the overhead air plenum really does a great job of moving a=
ir. Better than any spam can. I know of. <BR>
<BR>
Rob</FONT></HTML>

--part1_145.11e42724.2bfcee10_boundary--